- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Election 2014
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Scores updated at the end of each quarter. Winner
Groton - Nikki Schoolcraft had 30 assists Thursday as the 11th-rated Fitch High School volleyball team beat No. 22 Brookfield 23-25, 25-18, 25-20, 25-17 in the first round of the Class L state tournament.
Ashley Adams had 14 kills and Alesha Mancini added six digs for Fitch (14-6), which will play at No. 6 Mercy of Middletown in Saturday's second round beginning at 3 p.m.
In other state tournament matches:
• No. 20 Waterford won its first state tournament match in program history, topping No. 13 Sheehan 25-15, 18-25, 18-25, 25-17, 19-17 in the Class M first round in Wallingford. Amanda Tourjee had 37 assists for Waterford (9-11), which advanced to the second round and will play at No. 4 Granby Memorial at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Jamie Dahl added 23 kills and Lexi Moger 14 in the victory.
• No. 25 Montville ended its season with a 25-19, 25-13, 25-15 loss to No. 8 Plainfield in the Class M first round. Montville is 8-12.
• Paige Palenski had nine assists and six digs, leading No. 20 Old Lyme to a 25-19, 25-18 and 25-8 win over No. 15 Windham Tech in Class S first-round action. The Wildcats will play at Abbott Tech of Danbury in Saturday's second round (7 p.m.)
• Bailey Spellman had 16 assists to lead No. 10 Norwich Tech in a 25-18, 25-19, 25-14 victory over No. 23 Grasso Tech in a first-round Class S matchup between two teams from the Constitution State Conference. Kianna Dailey and Kianna Relliford each added six kills for Norwich Tech (17-4), which moves on to meet No. 7 Seymour in the second round at 7 p.m. Saturday in Seymour. Grasso Tech finished 8-11.
• Connecticut College junior Billy Hawkey was named to the New England Small College Athletic Conference men's soccer first team. Hawkey had a team-best 15 points on five goals and two assists.
• Conn College's Aina Torres, a junior midfielder, earned her first All-NESCAC women's soccer first team selection. Torres had a team-high nine points on three goals and three assists.