Local roundup: Velles (22) leads NFA to an easy opener
Monroe - Junior Alyssa Velles scored 22 points as the Norwich Free Academy girls' basketball team opened its season with a 51-38 win over Brookfield on Thursday at the Masuk Tip-Off tournament.
Sophomore Maya Bell scored 14 and freshman Cebria Outlow had seven points for NFA, which plays Pomperaug in Saturday night's final.
• Smith College forced 25 first-half turnovers and went on to beat Coast Guard 74-57 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game. Smith (6-1, 4-0) led 39-22 at halftime. Freshmen Victoria Sutherland (20 points, eight rebounds) and Meghan Fornaro (14 points) led Coast Guard (4-4, 2-2). Dani Knox scored 10 and had five rebounds for Coast Guard.
• Senior Kacie Quick scored a team-high 17 points to lead the Connecticut College Camels to 77-68 victory against Albertus Magnus College at Luce Field House. Tara Gabelman had 15 points and six rebounds while Kaitlyn Cresencia added 14 points off the bench for the Camels (3-4).
• Malcolm Simmons of New London had 23 points and 11 rebounds, leading UConn-Avery Point past Lincoln College of New England 86-81 in Southington. Tyler Barnes had 16 points and 12 assists and Sam Turner added 14 points for the Pointers (4-7).
• Senior defender and co-captain Greg Kennerley was named to the All-New England South Region Second Team as voted on by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA). Kennerley helped lead the Bears to their fourth ECAC Tournament Championship in program history and a 13-6-2 overall record, including a 4-1-1 NEWMAC record putting them into the semifinal round of the conference tournament.
Kennerley led Coast Guard with 14 points coming off five goals and four assists. He was also named to the NEWMAC first team.
• New London Babe Ruth - Board elections will be held Monday, Dec. 10 at the Elks Club at 7 p.m. Anyone interested should attend the meeting. Contact: Anna, (860) 443-7553.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES