- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Election 2014
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich - Denzel Lancaster scored 20 points and Norwich Free Academy came from behind Wednesday to beat Windham 58-52 in the Second Annual Honor the Game Tip-Off Classic.
Windham led 33-30 at halftime, but NFA took a 41-40 edge in the third quarter and limited the Whippets' top two scorers in the second half to maintain the lead.
Julian Sanchez scored 22 points for Windham and Kendall Marquez 19, but each only had seven points in the second half.
Ryan Lusk and Nixon Bernard added 12 points apiece for NFA, who opened the season without Marcus Outlow, who sustained an ankle injury during football season.
In other games:
• Montville beat Grasso Tech 72-60 behind Nick Clemons' 35 points. Dom Walmsley had 13 points for the Indians. J'quan Monroe scored 25 points and Robert Feliciano added 10 points and nine rebounds for Grasso Tech.
• Jackson Donahue scored 35 points in Stonington's 70-49 win over Fitch. Logan Hertlien added 10 points for the Bears, who led 40-18 at halftime. Mario Graham had 10 points and Mark Evans added nine for the Falcons.
• George Logan and Andrew Tyrol sparked a second-quarter outburst, combining for 15 points in an 18-7 run, and Old Lyme went on to beat Westbrook 71-53, in the Shoreline Conference. Logan finished with 17 points and Tyrol added 14 points and five assists while Danny Chapman had eight rebounds for Old Lyme.
• Wheeler led from start to finish but needed some late free throws to hold off Putnam 49-43. Jacob Raggon had 14 points and seven rebounds while Mike Dellaporte had 13 points and Nate Storey added seven rebounds for the Lions.
• Holy Family beat Grasso Tech 59-23 behind Shelby Grauer's 23 points. Mary Roberts had 10 points, six assists, six steals and two rebounds for Holy Family (3-1). Serenity Kidd-Brewer had eight points for the Grasso Tech (0-2).
• Alyssa Velles made six 3-pointers and scored 21 points while Olivia Ouellet added 15 points in Norwich Free Academy's 60-30 win over Waterford . Maya Bell had nine points for the Wildcats (3-1), who raced out to a 24-13 lead in the first quarter. Kate Haff had seven points for the Lancers (0-5).
• Saige Laquitara had a team-high 14 points in Norwich Tech's 30-26 overtime loss to Whitney Tech. Tyra Wolchesky added five points for Norwich Tech (1-2).
• Victor Caille recorded a pin in just 12 seconds of his 145-pound match to highlight St. Bernard-Norwich Tech-Wheeler's 59-24 win over East Lyme. The Saints also picked up pins from Danny Fields (126), Carl Seder-Craney (132), Justin Keating (160), Luke Wenzloff (170), Cas Wroznica (195) and Robert Newton (285) while Corey Levesque (138) had the lone pin for East Lyme.
• Matthew Strollo (126), Sri Louis (152), Nick Rasmussen (160), Matthew Baird (195), Doug Thomas (220) and Junior Cuevas (285) all won by pin, leading New London past Fitch 66-12. Mike Commander won his 120-pound match by technical fall while Daniel Maranda (145) won by major decision and Greg Kohler (170) won by decision for the Whalers. Fitch's Gabe Madrigal won by pin at 132.
• Ian Concascia (152) recorded Montville's lone pin, but the Indians won five matches by decision en route to a 40-27 victory over Waterford. Tom Wynosky (126), Jake Caskey (132), Jake Schmalz (160), Patrick Bogan (170) and McKenzie Mahn (182) all won by decision for Montville, while Brian Roscover (106) had a pin for the Lancers and Justin Lindblom (145) won by technical fall.
• East Lyme's Sam Magna won two individual events and swam on two winning relay teams as East Lyme opened its season with a 108-78 win over Middletown. Magna won the 50 and 100-yard freestyles and was on the 200 and 400 free relay teams. Adam Opsahl (100 breaststroke) and Billy Dumais (100 butterfly) also won individual events for the Vikings while the 200 freestyle relay team of Magna, Opsahl, Eric Stirtan and Clayton Otter broke the pool record in 1:32.79.