The Greater Westerly Chamber Foundation has awarded $100,000 in grant funds to 25 businesses hard hit by Superstorm Sandy in Misquamicut. The Chamber has raised $136,000 to date and hopes to raise as much as $400,000 by Memorial Day.
Funds raised came from a variety of sources:
• More than 60 donation jars throughout the community, about $2,000.
• "Bring Back the Beach" T-shirt and sweatshirt sales, about $20,000.
• Grass-roots community efforts: Kiefers Martial Arts,$2,088; Silpada jewelry sale, $300; a four-family neighborhood yard sale, $550; a resident's fundraiser in Warwick, $300; and $2,300 from Pizza Place.
• Events by The Chamber of Commerce and volunteers, more than $30,000
• Donation of $15,000 from The Greater Westerly Chamber Foundation, $15,000 from the Washington Trust Company Charitable Foundation, $5,000 from the Collette Tours Foundation, $5,000 from Newport Federal, $2,000 from the RI Center for Law & Public Policy, $1,000 from East Coast Karate, $1,000 from Beta Engineering and many others.
Fundraising will continue with T-shirt and sweatshirt sales, corporate appeals and a Feb. 23 gala at the Ocean House in Watch Hill.