Marquette has the final say

Marquette's Junior Cadougan (5) drives past UConn's Ryan Boatright during Tuesday's Big East opener in Milwaukee. Marquette beat the Huskies 82-76 in OT.

Milwaukee - Junior Cadougan scored 18 points - including a buzzer-beating, tying 3-pointer at the end of regulation - to lead Marquette to a 82-76 overtime win over UConn on Tuesday night in the Big East Conference opener for both teams.

Davante Gardner added 18 points off the bench for the Golden Eagles (10-3). Vander Blue scored 13 points as Marquette won its 17th in a row at home.

Shabazz Napier tied his career high with 29 points and had eight rebounds for Connecticut (10-3, 0-1). Ryan Boatright added 16 for the Huskies.

Cadougan's 3-pointer was the Golden Eagles' first of the night after missing their first 14 from behind the arc.

The game was the first for UConn coach Kevin Ollie since he received a five-year, nearly $7 million contract extension on Saturday.

Marquette was without head coach Buzz Williams, serving a one-game suspension for NCAA recruiting rules violations announced in August. Assistant Brad Autry filled in for Williams, who is expected to return for Saturday's game against No. 15 Georgetown.

Cadougan opened the overtime with a runner to make it 71-69, but UConn's Omar Calhoun sank a 3-pointer to make it 72-71 with 3:16 left. Vander Blue's 3-pointer with 1:41 left put the Golden Eagles ahead to stay at 74-72, and Jamil Wilson's layup put the Golden Eagles up 76-72 with 47 seconds remaining.

Napier made a layup to cut it back to two points, and Cadougan made a free throw with 33 seconds to go. Napier's shot at a tying 3-pointer missed with 18 seconds left, and Jamil Wilson made a free throw and Trent Lockett added two more as Marquette wrapped it up. The Golden Eagles haven't lost at home since Vanderbilt beat them 74-57 on Dec. 29, 2011.

Marquette led 30-27 at halftime and scored the first seven points of the second half, but the Huskies cut it to 40-38 on a layup by DeAndre Daniels.

The Golden Eagles used a 12-4 run to open a 52-42 lead with 12:10 left. But Connecticut and Napier responded, with the junior guard scoring 11 straight points - three 3-pointers and two free throws - to tie the game at 57 with 7:23 remaining. A free throw by Tyler Olander with 6:46 left gave the Huskies their first lead since the opening minutes.

Both teams struggled to score down the stretch.

Connecticut took a 67-66 lead on a tough runner by Boatright with 3:36 left, and the Huskies made it 69-66 with 5.9 seconds left on Boatright's jumper from the top of the key with the shot clock winding down. Not using a timeout, Cadougan then took the inbounds pass, dribbled to the right wing and sank a 3-pointer over Boatright from well outside the arc.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments