- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Election 2014
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Montville — Firefighters quickly extinguished a late Wednesday night bedroom fire at a single-family ranch at 39 Fort Shantok Road.
Fire Marshal Raymond Occhialini said the fire was reported at 11:15 p.m. and appears to be an accident caused by either a candle or smoking-related materials.
The lone, female occupant safely evacuated the home. Occhialini said she was renting the home. No other injuries were reported.
The fire was confined to a second-floor bedroom. He said a mattress was destroyed as well as the frame of the futon. There was also water damage to the kitchen area.
In addition to the Mohegan fire department, Montville, Mohegan Tribal and the Oakdale fire departments also responded.
Occhialini said the tenant would be living with the landlord, who lives next door, until repairs to the home are made.