- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Wellesley, Mass. - Sophomore Christian Brindamour won three individual events and swam on the winning 400 freestyle relay team, leading the Coast Guard Academy men's swim team to a 156-138 win over Babson.
Brindamour won the 100 backstroke in 55.16 seconds, the 50 freestyle (21.54) and the 100 freestyle (48.24) and joined junior Alex Dona, sophomore Adam Hoburg and senior Michael Piantedosi on the 400 free relay team that finished in 3:16.81. The Bears are 6-1 overall.
Freshman Ben Morseth won the 200 backstroke in 2:06.18 and junior Barrett Johannsen won the 100 butterfly (53.75) for the Bears. Kyle Smith placed second in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.
In other meets:
• Freshman Loring Bowen won three events to pace Connecticut College past Grinnell College 145-60 in Naples, Fla., on Tuesday. Bowen took first in the 100 butterfly (53.35 seconds), 200 freestyle (1:46.53) and 500 freestyle (4:49.81). Junior Sam Gill won the 50 and 100 freestyles in 21.79 and 47.55, respectively, while Gill, Sean Paquette, Joey Blair and Kirk Czelewicz combined to win the 200 medley relay (1:37.42) for the Camels.
• Sophomore Darlene Sao won three events and was part of the second-place 400 freestyle relay team, as Coast Guard Academy beat Babson 209-87 but fell to host Wellesley 203-96. The Bears are 3-5.
Sao won the 200 freestyle (1:59.31), the 50 freestyle (25.79) and 100 freestyle (55.38) while the Bears 400 freestyle relay of freshman Ashley Ezell, senior Erin Talbot, freshman Patti Eidenire and Sao placed second with a time of 3:50.93.
Freshman Hayley McWilliams won the 1,000 freestyle in 10:58.64 and took second in the 500 freestyle (5:25.40) for Coast Guard.
• Junior Julia Pielock (50, 100 freestyle) and Emma Rotner (200, 500 freestyle) each won two events, leading the Conn College women's swimming team past Grinnell College 149-56 in Naples, Fla., on Tuesday. Sarah Lauridsen won the 1,000 freestyle in 10:55.56 while Esther Mehesz posted a winning time of 4:44.62 in the 400 individual medley and Rachel Wilson won the 100 butterfly in 1:01.19 for the Camels.
• Philkwan Tate had 16 points and 10 rebounds in UConn-Avery Point's 65-55 loss to Naval Prep on Tuesday. Malcolm Simmons added 14 points and 12 rebounds in the loss for the Pointers (4-12).
• Conn College director of athletics Fran Shields was recently honored Lacrosse Magazine in the honorable mention category for Person of the Year. He is a former lacrosse coach at Conn.
Shields served as chair of the NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship for the past two years and has been an active leader on the committee since 2009. Conn hosted NCAA first round men's lacrosse games in two of the past three years.
In his 33rd year at Conn, he has been actively involved in the sport his entire career. He is a founding member of the East Lyme Lacrosse Association and contributed to the growth of the sport in the southeastern Connecticut.