- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Election 2014
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Jimmy Knudsen and Greg Marshall combined for 50 points and 20 rebounds Sunday as the Coast Guard men's basketball team snapped an 18-game losing streak with a 64-58 win over Wheaton in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game.
Knudsen scored 26 with 13 rebounds and Marshall had 24 points and seven rebounds. Devonte Weems had eight assists and Zach Wells came off the bench for six rebounds for Coast Guard (2-19, 1-10). Billy Battaglia led Wheaton (9-13, 1-9) with 20 points.
In other games:
• Bowdoin College rallied from an eight-point halftime deficit to beat Connecticut College 60-56 in a New England Small College Athletic Conference game. Matt Vadas had 20 points and six rebounds, Jared Shill scored 10 points and had seven rebounds and Mason Lopez came off the bench to score 14 for Conn (7-15, 0-9). Maximilian Staiger led Bowdoin (14-9, 5-5) with 18 points.
• Freshman Victoria Sutherland scored 17 points and had nine rebounds as Coast Guard beat Mount Holyoke 65-47 in a NEWMAC game. Kaitlin Ward scored 12 and Dani Knox had 10 points and 12 rebounds for Coast Guard (9-12, 7-9), which had a 51-32 edge in rebounding. Larla Brown (10 points) and Meghan Fornaro (six assists) contributed off the bench for Coast Guard. Angelica Pascual scored 22 for Mount Holyoke (5-16, 3-13).
• Bowdoin College jumped out to a 36-24 halftime lead and went on to beat Connecticut College 72-59 in a NESCAC game. Kayleen Murphy had 12 points and eight rebounds and Tara Gabelman scored 10 with six rebounds for Conn (9-13, 3-6). Kaitlin Donahoe led Bowdoin (13-10, 4-6) with 20 points.
• Courtney Dumont and Molly Murphy had a goal and an assist each as Connecticut College beat Stevenson 4-1 in a nonleague game for the second straight day. Shelley Moore and Caroline Corbett also had goals and Amy Leichliter made 11 saves for Conn (12-9-1). Sam Schoeneberger, Olivia Farrell, Justina Germano, Leigh Getz and Marianne Brunet had assists for Conn. Molly O'Neil scored for Stevenson (6-13-1).
• Amherst College scored three times in the second period and went on to a 4-2 win over Connecticut College in a NESCAC game. Sean Murray and Tim DiPretoro scored goals and Mike Doyle, Zach Shapiro, Keith Veronesi and J.C. Cangelosi had assists for Conn (7-11-3, 3-9-3). Nathan Corey made 22 saves for Amherst (13-5-3, 9-4-2).