- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Scores updated at the end of each quarter. Winner
• Mitchell College's Amanda Garcia, a freshman forward, was named New England Collegiate Conference Rookie of the Week in women's basketball on Monday. Garcia averaged 17.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in two games for the Mariners. She scored 19 points on 9-for-16 shooting against Becker, then had 16 points and 10 rebounds in a win over Newbury for her sixth double-double of the season.
• The Connecticut College Athletic Hall of Fame ceremony, postponed Saturday following the weekend's winter storm, has been rescheduled for Saturday, March 2.
The Class of 2012 includes former Norwich Free Academy great Judy Fontaine-Higgins Class of 1979 (track & field), Beth Offenhartz Carlson '81 (volleyball), Tom Hudner '95 (soccer, lacrosse) and Meghan Barry '97 (rowing).
The Hall of Fame plaques will be unveiled at 5 p.m. in the Hall of Fame Room off the foyer of the Charles B. Luce Field House, and the athletes will also be honored at a dinner after the ceremony. Tickets are still available by contacting Beth Crocker at (860) 439-2541.
• Two swimmers with local ties helped Keene State (N.H.) win the swimming portion of the New England Intercollegiate Swimming and Division Association championship over the weekend at the Upper Valley Aquatics Center in White River Junction, Vt. Zach Tyropolis, a freshman from Waterford, placed third in the men's 200 butterfly (1:57.55) while Rebecca Stewart, a freshman from East Lyme, was second in the women's 1,650 freestyle (18:16.89). With the diving portion of the meet to be completed this weekend at Plymouth State, the Keene men have 1,003.5 points (Roger Williams is second with 693) while the Keene women have 1,593 points (Eastern Connecticut is second with 1,113.5).
• Eastern Connecticut State University's Fredrick Hewett, a junior from New London who competed at Ledyard High School, was the Warriors' lone individual winner at the Little East/New England Alliance indoor track and field championships Sunday at Southern Maine. Hewett won the 55-meter dash in 6.84 seconds, although he ran a faster time (6.66) in the preliminaries.
• Fourteen Mitchell athletes were named to the 2012 New England Collegiate Conference Fall All-Academic team, including junior Drew Castagna and sophomore Chris McKeon (men's cross country); junior Taylor Zaldivar of Waterford and junior Chris Heller of Oakdale (men's golf); junior Zachary Simmons and sophomore Jordan Cook of Groton (men's soccer); sophomore Breanna Poirier (women's cross country); senior Malorie Klieber and senior Rebecca Tabak (women's soccer); junior Alexa Litwak, junior Carly Paterson of Gales Ferry and sophomore Jennifer Schmidt (women's tennis); and senior Arianna Thomas (volleyball).
• Three athletes with local ties were also named to the NECC All-Academic team - Springfield sophomore Jordan Maynard of Norwich (golf), Southern Vermont senior Danielle Celotto of Ledyard (women's soccer) and Bay Path sophomore Kacie Bayreuther of East Lyme (women's volleyball).
- Day Staff Reports