- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Election 2014
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Freshman Victoria Sutherland scored 24 of her game-high 25 points in the second half as Coast Guard Academy defeated Wellesley 64-56 on Wednesday to qualify for the New England Men's and Women's Athletic Conference women's basketball tournament.
Alexi Howland and Kaitlin Ward each added 10 points for the Bears (10-13, 8-9) while Dani Knox added a game-high 10 rebounds.
Ashleigh Sargent and Leslie Leong had 15 points each to lead the Blue (13-8, 12-5).
In other games:
• Tara Gabelman had 14 points and nine rebounds as Conn College beat Colby in overtime, 61-58, in a NESCAC game. Aly Boyle and Kaitlyn Cresencia each had 11 points and 10 rebounds for Conn (10-13, 4-6).
• Kyle Wilson, a 2008 Norwich Free Academy graduate, has been named field manager of the Niantic American Legion baseball program, team manager Harold Winslow announced on Wednesday.
It it will be the first head coaching job for the 23-year-old Wilson, who played his American Legion baseball for Mike Turgeon in Jewett City and spent the 2012 season as an assistant under Roger Bidwell at UConn-Avery Point.
"The people I've been around as a player and a coach have really helped prepare me for this opportunity," Wilson said. "I know it's going to be a learning experience, but at the same time my expectations are going to be high."
Winslow also said Robert Kane will manage Niantic's Junior Legion program.
• Denzel Gregg had 19 points and four assists as St. Thomas More beat Rise Academy of Philadelphia, 88-73. Marquis Moore had nine points, six rebounds and four assists for T-More (26-4) and Cane Broome added nine points and six assists.
• UConn-Avery Point lost to Lincoln College 92-79 on Tuesday night. Philkwan Tate and Isiah Cruz had 14 points each, Tyler Barnes and Chris Corum-Giles scored 12 each and Malcolm Simmons scored 10 for Avery Point (7-13).
• Nik Lehet and Ryan Hessling won two individual events apiece to lead Waterford past New London, 100-60, in the Eastern Connecticut Conference.
Lehet won the 50 freestyle (28.60 seconds) and diving (166.30 points) competition for the Lancers (4-7, 4-6) while Hessling captured the 100 butterfly (1:23.00) and 100 backstroke (1:16.17). Liam Greene (400 free) and R.J. Woodstock (100 breaststroke) won events for the Whalers (0-10, 0-10).
• Montville sophomore Eric Sloan scored 194 out of a possible 200 to lead the Indians to an 897-681 win over Abbott Tech of Danbury. Nathan Zawicki scored 186 for Montville (4-4).