- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Ryanne Paige scored 15 points as the UConn-Avery Point women's basketball team snapped a three-game losing streak with a 49-33 win over Quinsigamond Community College Thursday night.
Kim Bouten scored 11 and Mikayla Wells had 10 points for Avery Point (9-6).
In other games:
• Haley Ooms had 10 points, 11 rebounds and three steals as Becker beat Mitchell, 45-40, in a New England Collegiate Conference game. Chelsea Joubert scored 13 for Becker (9-15, 8-9). Amanda Garcia scored 15 for the Mariners (6-17, 6-11) and Kate Mulloy added 10 rebounds.
H.S. indoor track
• Allison Scott of Old Lyme was fourth in the 300 (43.50) and fifth in the 600 (1:42.05) at the CIAC Class S championships at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven.
Bloomfield earned its fourth straight division championship (78 points). Montville placed 13th (11) and Old Lyme 18th (six).
Natalie Bowens of Montville placed fourth in the (16-4 ¾) in the long jump and sixth in the high jump (4-10). Teammate Sonja Campbell took third in the shot put (33-7)
In the boys' meet, Connor Gralton of St. Bernard placed third in the 3,200 (10:04.66).
Old Lyme's Devin Byrne finished sixth in the long jump (19-10). The Wildcats' 4x800 relay team also placed sixth (8:54.35).
Bloomfield easily outdistanced Capital Prep of Hartford for the championship, 103-44.
St. Bernard tied for 19th place (six) and Old Lyme tied for 27th (two).
• Old Lyme's Ashley Detuzzi finished second in the all-around and teammate Caroline Montanaro was third as the Wildcats went 1-1 at a tri-meet. Old Lyme scored 89.5 to beat East Lyme (86.1) but lost to Glastonbury (128.05). Detuzzi's all-around score was 32.8 and Montanaro scored 32.3.
Detuzzi won the balance beam with a score of 8.6 and Montanaro was second at 8.4.
• Adam Opsahl won the 200 freestyle (1:49.08) and 100 backstroke (57.12) and teamed with Sam Magna, Zachary Kosakowski and Ryan Dumais to win the 200 freestyle relay (1:41.74) as East Lyme beat Windham-RHAM-Coventry, 113-71, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference meet. Clayton Otter won the 200 individual medley (2:12.05) and 100 breaststroke (1:08.59) for East Lyme (12-1, 10-0). Also, Dylan Luce won the diving (228.10) and Thomas Whittico won the 500 freestyle (5:27.89).
• Mitchell's Josh Ford scored 24 points and had 16 rebounds, but the Mariners lost to Becker College 66-65 in a NECC game. Alex Del Rio had six points and five assists and Ford had six assists and four steals for Mitchell (12-11, 8-7). Tyler Roberson scored 28 for Becker (13-12, 9-7).