- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Election 2014
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton — City firefighters quickly extinguished a kitchen fire Tuesday night at 223 Bridge St., but not before the blaze damaged one apartment and displaced several people living in three other units .
Groton City Fire Chief Nicholas DeLia said the fire was reported at 8:01 p.m. He said when fire crews arrived the kitchen was engulfed in flames and was quickly spreading to a bedroom and living room.
The fire was under control in about 15 minutes. He said the two-story building had a total of four apartments.
Two people, a mother and a child, were living in the apartment that caught on fire. DeLia said the fire appears to be accidental caused by cooking.
The American Red Cross said it was helping seven people – five adults and two children – in four families, assisting with emergency housing, food and clothing needs.
No injuries were reported.
DeLia said the fire also damaged some electrical wiring inside the dwelling. He said is hoping that two of the families may be able to return to their apartments later Wednesday.
In addition to Groton City, Electric Boat, the Submarine Base, Poquonnock Bridge fire departments also responded. The Noank fire department covered the city’s headquarters.