New London — City firefighters extinguished early this morning an electrical fire in a second-floor, vacant apartment adjacent to the Kente Cultural Center at 219 Bank St.
Fire Chief Henry E. Kydd Jr. said the fire was called in at 4:34 a.m. He said when fire crews arrived there was a smoke condition and the odor of electrical burning.
It took firefighters about an hour to find the source of the fire. Firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to find the fire, which was found in wiring in the ceiling in an vacant apartment that was currently being refurbished.
The Kente Cultural Center did not sustain any damage and would be able to resume normal operations, Kydd said.
The Red Cross was called in to assist because power to another apartment had to be shut off while the fire marshal conducts its investigation.
Kydd said he was not certain when the power to the apartment would be restored.
Because the buildings on Bank Street are so close to each other, mutual aid from Waterford and a Submarine FAST team were also called in.
Kydd said the fire remains under investigation.