- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Election 2014
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Matt Shaughnessy, a 2005 Norwich Free Academy graduate, signed a one-year contract with the Arizona Cardinals on Friday.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Shaughnessy, 26, was drafted in the third round of the 2009 NFL draft by the Oakland Raiders. He started all 16 games last season for Oakland, registering 3.5 sacks and 42 tackles.
The 6-foot-6, 285-pound defensive end, who starred at Wisconsin, had 11 career sacks in 51 games with the Raiders.
• Connecticut College scored four straight goals in the second half put away Keene State, 8-5, in a nonconference road game. Taylor Thomas scored three goals for the Camels (1-2), Lowell Abbott added two and senior Bri Miller scored a goal for the 100th point of her career (76 goals, 24 assists).
• UConn left the bases loaded in the top of the ninth innings, losing to host Presbyterian College 6-4. L.J. Mazzilli flew out to end the game, but homered and drove in two runs for UConn (9-5).
The Huskies also announced that its Big East series against Georgetown on March 22-24 has been moved from J.O. Christian Field in Storrs to Dodd Stadium in Norwich.
The Huskies and Hoyas will play Friday, March 22 at 3 p.m., while the Saturday and Sunday games will start at 1.
• Zach Albin allowed three hits over six innings in UConn-Avery Point's 6-1 victory over the Ontario Blue Jays A team in Vero Beach, Fla.
Albin struck out eight, walked one and allowed no earned runs. Kevin Hall had three hits for the Pointers, Bryan Rivera hit the team's first home run of the season and had two RBI and Alex Miller added two hits.
• Coast Guard Academy split a doubleheader at the Rebel Games in Kissimmee, Fla., losing to Transylvania in the opener, 7-4, before bouncing back behind freshman pitcher Christine Kahl to beat Marietta, 4-0.
Erin Lisko had a pair of singles, a double and sacrifice fly in the opener for the Bears (3-5) while Kahl pitched a four-hitter and struck out four in the second game and Catherine Walker had a solo homer and RBI single.
Women's water polo
• Connecticut College evened its record at 2-2 with an 11-4 win at Cal Tech. Isabelle Banieux had two goals, three assists and two steals and Kelsey Millward had three goals, an assist and two steals.