Local college roundup: Mitchell baseball sweeps Newbury
Watertown, Mass. - Freshman Tyler Shamas pitched a one-hitter in the second game as the Mitchell College baseball team swept a doubleheader from Newbury Sunday, winning the opener 6-3 and the second game 3-0.
Shamas struck out 10 with two walks. Marc Dorsi had two hits, Waterford's Gavin LaLima singled and scored a run and Mystic's Drew Doyle singled and drove in a run for Mitchell (5-5). In the opener, Doyle had three hits, drove in two and scored twice, Evan Peck singled and tripled and New London's Nova Crespo drove in two runs. Fitch graduate Al Jordan Johnson was the winner and New London's Josh Zurita pitched a scoreless seventh for the save.
In other games:
• UConn-Avery Point lost to Kirkwood Community College at Vero Beach, Fla., 2-1. Kevin Lacy took the loss, allowing four hits and one earned run over six innings with four strikeouts and one walk. Matt Martinez singled home Bryan Rivera in the sixth inning with the only run for Avery Point (4-2).
• Host Presbyterian College scored four runs in the seventh inning and went on to beat UConn 5-4 at Clinton, S.C. L.J. Mazzilli drove in three runs, Bryan Daniello had two hits and former Bacon Academy standout David Mahoney (0-1) took the loss in relief for UConn (10-6).
Carson Cross pitched eight strong innings as UConn beat Presbyterian 13-2 Saturday night. Cross (4-0) allowed five hits and one earned run with eight strikeouts and one walk. Tom Verdi had three hits, four RBI and scored three runs and Daniello was 4-for-5 with three runs scored for UConn.
• Aaron Sladyk and Fitch graduate Jordan Cook scored three goals each as Mitchell College beat SUNY-Canton 12-1. David Klapp scored twice, Waterford's Shane Sullivan had three assists and Peter Eshenfelder of Quaker Hill made 13 saves for Mitchell (4-2).
• Audrey Grinnell homered twice and drove in five runs as UConn beat Central Connecticut State 10-2 at Hofstra. The Huskies started the day with an 18-0 loss to Hofstra. Nicole Springer and Mystic's Brittany Duclos also homered for UConn (10-8) and Montville's Kelsey Barlow singled and scored a run for CCSU (8-9).
• Coast Guard finished up play at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla., Saturday with a pair of victories. The Bears beat Anderson (Ind). 4-3 and Rowan 5-4 in eight innings to finish the trip at 5-5.
Freshman Hannah Ingerson's three-run homer in the first inning helped Coast Guard build a 4-0 lead against Anderson. Old Lyme's Sammy Yuknat (2-2) picked up the win.
Using the International Tiebreaker Rule, Ingerson was placed on second base in the bottom of the eighth against Rowan. She was bunted over to third by Kaitlin Ward and, after two intentional walks to load the bases, was forced out at home on a fielder's choice. But Rowan couldn't handle a grounder by Natalie Spadafora and pinch-runner Kelly Grills of Stonington scored the game winner. Jessie Richardson (two RBI) and Kelsey Gray had two hits each for Coast Guard.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES