- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Camels in the spotlight
• The co-ed sailing won the Veitor Trophy Regatta last weekend in Newport, R.I. The Camels scored 64 points to outdistance an 18-team field.
Rookie skipper Pearson Potts, Emily Vasiliou and Ben Meyers scored 33 points to win the A division for the Camels. In the B division, Gabe Salk and Alex Israel posted another victory, scoring 31 points.
The women's team finished 14th out of 17 teams in the St. Mary's Intersectional. Atlantic Brugman, Claire Sacco and Bettina Redway placed 10th in the A Division with 113 points.
• Sophomore Taylor Thomas contributed five goals, seven ground balls and five caused turnovers last week for the Camels, who went 1-2 in women's lacrosse action. Senior Bri Miller had her 100th career point in a win at Keene State and increased her career totals to 77 goals and 24 assists.
• Chad Sawyer leads the men's lacrosse team with 10 goals while Andrew Freedman ranks first in points with 15 (eight goals, seven assists). Freshman goalie Bobby Bleistein allowed just two goals in the final two quarters to help Conn rallied for a 16-15 win over Tufts Tuesday and earn his first career win.
Mariners on a roll
• Mitchell College junior Demetre Lyras earned New England College Conference Player of the Week honors in men's lacrosse after helping the Mariners go 1-1 last week. A junior midfielder, he controlled 27 of 30 faceoffs and scooped up 13 ground balls while also finishing with three goals and an assist.
• For the second straight week, Mitchell pitcher Tyler Shamas was named the NECC Rookie of the Week in baseball. Shamas went 2-0, pitching two complete games, beating Defiance College, 8-2, on Tuesday and tossing a one-hit shutout in a 3-0 win over conference foe Newbury on Sunday while striking out 10.
Around the region
• Several local athletes are competing for St. Michael's College in Colchester, Vt.
Sophomore Hannah Benoit, a St. Bernard graduate, plays at No. 4 singles for the Purple Knights, who are off to a 5-2 start.
Another St. Bernard graduate, Tyler Wild, recently went 2-for-5 with an RBI, run scored and two steals in a 5-4 extra inning loss to Barry University during the team's Florida trip. In a 6-5 loss to Hillsdale College in 11 innings, he had three hits.
Ledyard graduate Sean Curtin, a sophomore, is a member of the men's lacrosse team.
Junior Alexa Long of Waterford averaged 8.1 points a team-best 7.4 rebounds while starting 23 games for the women's basketball team. She also led the team in blocks with 16. The Purple Knights went 10-16 overall.
• Freshman Julia Royer went 1-for-2 in her collegiate in Plymouth State's 10-2 softball loss to Bethany (W.V.). A Stonington High School graduate, she started in right field.
Also at Plymouth, freshman Dave Hall of Groton, senior Rew Wilson of East Lyme and Niantic's Tucker Regan helped the Panthers beat City College of New York, 13-1, in their season opener on March 10. Hall had a single, double and two RBI while Wilson pitched four scoreless innings in relief to earn the win and Regan pitched the final inning.
• Salve Regina junior Joshua Hohlfelder, a Fitch graduate and business studies major, was named to the Capital One Academic All-District II first team last month. He earned a team-best 3.86 grade point average. He finished the season as the team's second leading scorer, averaging 11.5 points, and started every game.
"Josh is exactly what we want all of our student athletes to be - a great person, a scholar, and a tireless worker on the basketball court," coach Sean Foster said in a release. "Josh's academic honors are well deserved."
• Central Connecticut State University junior Dylan DelaCruz of St. Bernard is off to a fast start, batting .378 through the first 11 games. A starting outfielder, he ranks first on the team in runs (12) and hits (17). Fitch graduate Anthony Turgeon, a junior infielder, also is a full-time starter.
On the softball diamond, senior outfielder Kelsey Barlow of Montville is batting .333 with one home run and seven RBI. Sarah Emery, a senior from Stonington, has scored seven runs and stolen three bases.
• Freshman Nate Wilson of Norwich had a goal in Western Connecticut State University's 18-2 loss to Plattsburgh State on Saturday.
• Senior Rebecca Banker of Salem is a jumping specialist for the UMass track and field team. She holds a school record in the high jump.
• Nolan Brown, a sophomore from Waterford, has started the first four games for the Husson University men's lacrosse team. He has two goals.
- Gavin Keefe