- Make A Difference
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Every day I try to be a ray of sunshine in the lives of all of you shoe-clad sad-sacks. Lucky for all of you, I'm an unqualified success.
It's true; just ask the people I visit at the hospital every week. When they see me coming, they do the human equivalent of wagging their tails and wiggling their butts.
But somedays I need to bring the rain. Today is one of those days.
I got a bit of disturbing news in my inbox Thursday from the Humane Society of the United States. (Of course I have email. I'm a modern, sophisticated animal with a wide circle of friends, not a rodent-stalking cat who poops indoors.)
Anyway, I learned via this message that the Canadian government has chosen to prop up the brutal, steadily diminishing sealing industry with $3.6 million for the stockpiling of seal skins. So Canadian taxpayers will pay to buy mostly unwanted pelts from sealers. (Yes, sealers, the ones who take clubs and bash baby seals to death.)
Why do this? Here's what the HSUS says: "On average, sealers make less than 5 percent of their income from killing seals. So what brings in the other 95 percent? Seafood."
So, to end the slaughter of seals, which is done during the fishermen's off-season, we need to boycott Canadian seafood.
Here's why, again, according to the HSUS: "Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans says it will shut down the commercial seal slaughter when Canada's fishing industry asks it to do so — and since more than 60 percent of Canadian seafood exports go to the United States each year, this gives us a lever. Through the boycott of Canadian seafood we can send a clear message: If Canada's fishing industry would like open access to our U.S. market, it needs to stop the commercial seal slaughter for good."
To sign the boycott, just go to the HSUS website and click on the picture of the sweet baby seal. It's really easy, unless of course, like me, you don't have opposable thumbs. That's why I'm asking all of you to do it.
And remember, before you buy fish at the store or order it in a restaurant, ask if it's from Canada, and if it is, pick something else.
Thank you. You may now resume watching silly cat videos on YouTube.