- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London — Jacob Parizo's bases-loaded walk with one out in the ninth inning forced home Aaron Hosking and gave Williams School a 6-5 baseball victory over Block Island on Saturday.
Williams trailed by three runs in the seventh when Drew Watson hit a two-run triple and scored on Hosking's single. Nick Smith tied the game with an RBI double in the eighth.
Ben Lahm earned the win in relief for the Blues (1-1).
In other games:
• Izzy Davila pitched a one-hitter with 10 strikeouts and went 2-for-3 at the plate, including a double, a run and two stolen bases to lead Fitch past Bristol Eastern, 5-0. Aaron Hill had a double, two runs and three stolen bases for the Falcons (2-1). The Lancers are 1-1.
• Max Kelley had two hits, including a triple, with three runs as Stonington beat Wheeler, 9-6. Shane Foster went for 4-for-4, including a double, with a run and an RBI for the Bears (2-0). Mike Dellaporta had a single and two runs for the Lions (1-1) and Nate Storey had two hits, including a double, with two RBI.
• Brandon Strickland went 2-for-3, including a double, with two RBI as Norwich Free Academy beat Darien, 8-5, at Dodd Stadium. Will Trask had a single and two RBI for NFA (2-0) and Zach Podurgiel was the winning pitcher
• Jordan Volpe went 2-for-3 with two RBI as Montville defeated East Lyme, 12-3. Buddy Dewaine had two hits and two runs for Montville (3-0). Adam Rigney tripled for the Vikings (2-1).
• Christian Adams had two hits and Jack Branger scored twice as Coginchaug beat St. Bernard, 5-3. Willie Rios Jr. had a double and RBI for St. Bernard (0-2) and Aaron Michaud added a single and an RBI.
• Madison Horner had a triple and scored three runs while Kaylie Crosby added two hits and two RBI as East Lyme opened its season with a 6-1 win over Greenwich. Erica Hill pitched a four-hitter with nine strikeouts for East Lyme while Sarah Bond and Sydney Swanson each doubled.
• Megan Guest tripled and Saimara Cantres doubled as Maloney beat Ledyard, 2-0. Tyler Gernhard doubled for the Colonels (1-1).
• Montville's Sonia Campbell and Old Lyme's Ali Scott each won a pair of events at the Bellringer Invitational in East Hampton. Campbell captured the shot put (35 feet, 11¼ inches) and discus (94-9) while Scott won the 400-meter dash (59.84 seconds) and 200 (27.65).
Montville's Natalie Bowens was the other local winner, winning the 100 (13.33) in helping the Indians finish third in the team standings (95 points) behind East Hampton (110.5) and Old Saybrook (108). Bowens also finished second in the long jump (15-3) and triple jump (34-4) while Cassidy Bundy was second in the shot put (32-4).
• Montville's 4x100-meter relay team of Gabe Diaz, Nakosi Hunter, Justin Longton and Connor Lewis was victorious in 46.20 seconds, helping the Indians finish in fifth place at the Bellringer Invitational in East Hampton. Bloomfield was first with 167 points and the Indians had 51.
Hunter (53.39) and Lewis (53.99) also finished 2-3 in the 400 for the Indians while Jesse Joseph was third in the 1,600 (4:44.83). The 4x800 relay team of Joseph, Kevin Fitzgerald, Dan Linkenhoker and Joe Rainville was second (8:52.15) and the 4x400 relay team of Hunter, Lewis, Rainville and Neil Schneeberg was second in 3:40.54.
For Old Lyme, Jeff Davis was third in the 800 (2:09.64) and Jaren Stanland was third in the discus (129-10).