Local Roundup: Avery Point sweeps doubleheader
Groton - the UConn-Avery Point baseball team stretched its winning streak to six with a doubleheader sweep of Holyoke Community College Sunday.
The Pointers (18-5) won the opener 3-0 and won the second game 8-0. Alex Roger pitched a three-hitter with six strikeouts and three walks in the opener and Andrew Reel allowed three hits with five strikeouts and two walks over six innings in the second game.
Bryan Rivera had two hits in each game, Matt Martinez had a two-run single in the opener, Old Saybrook's Justin Beal hit a two-run homer and Nick DeLotto had two hits and drove in two runs in the second game for the Pointers.
In other games:
• Syed Ali pitched a seven-hitter with eight strikeouts to lead Daniel Webster to an 8-3 win over Mitchell College in a New england Collegiate Conference game. Waterford's Gavin LaLima scored twice for Mitchell (11-10, 7-2).
• Vinny Siena had two hits and scored twice as UConn beat St. John's 5-3 in a Big East Conference game. Bryan Daniello drove in two runs for UConn (18-12, 5-4).
• Mitchell College was swept in a NECC doubleheader by Newbury, losing the opener 4-3 and second game 11-3. Lindsey Romagnino had two hits in the opener and hit a three-run homer in the second game and Dylan Riccardi was 3-for-3 in the first half for Mitchell (5-17).
• Providence scored a run in the top of the 12th inning and held on to beat UConn 3-2 in a Big East game. Kim Silva had three hits, Marissa Guches had two hits and former Fitch standout Brittany Duclos had a RBI single for UConn (15-15, 2-4).
College women's tennis
• Connecticut College split a pair of matches, beating Smith College 9-0 and losing to Mount Holyoke 5-4. Alexis DiTomassi, Pawcatuck's Jen Herbert, Sara Krivoshik and Brittney Cangemi each went 2-0 in singles play for Conn (3-5).
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Ian Bond scored six goals and had two assists, leading Fitch to a 9-7 win over Warwick (R.I.) Veterans 9-7 Saturday. Andrew Singer scored twice and Mike Semancik made 11 saves for Fitch (1-1).
• Williams School beat Hyde-Woodstock 7-0 Saturday. Sam Buffum, Adam Verhoeff, Rudy Harvey and Victoria Ferrigno won singles matches for the Blues.
College women's water polo
• Connecticut College won four games at Carthage College in Wisconsin. The Camels (10-6) beat Washington & Jefferson 10-8 in overtime, Grove City 11-9, Penn State-Behrend 19-3 and Utica 18-2.
Nicky Jasbon scored 12 goals with five assists, Kelsey Millward had 11 goals and six assists and Kristin Lampley, Sam Pierce and Kate Jacobson had six goals each for Conn.
• Connecticut College opened up tits spring season on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester (Mass.) Saturday. In the varsity eight regatta, Conn finished second to Clark with a time of 7:31.2. The men's team was third with a time of 7:38.9.
Conn won the women's second varsity four (8:30.8), second in the women's varsity four regatta (8:15.3) and finished third on the novice four regatta (9:07).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES