Local Roundup: Morrison sparks Stonington to victory
Stonington - Libby Morrison scored the go-ahead goal with over 10 minutes left Tuesday, leading Stonington High School past Waterford 17-14 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division girls' lacrosse matchup.
The Bears rallied from an 8-4 halftime deficit.
Morrison and Emily Cassata each had five goals and two assists and Jenny Sieczkiewicz added three goals and three assists for Stonington (1-1, 1-0).
McKenzie Potter had five goals while Julie Chabot added two goals and two assists and Amanda Kumpitsch had two goals and one assist for Waterford (2-1, 0-1).
In other games:
• Daria McKenna scored five goals, lifting Fitch to a 16-12 win over Ledyard. Susannah Lucey, Michaelina Pinto, Sarah Giblin, Chloe Taylor and Jackie Kokomoor each scored twice for Fitch (2-1). Erika Jenkins had four goals, Ellie Phetteplace had three goals and two assists, Michaela Holland had two goals and two assists and Kerrie Gardner scored twice for Ledyard (0-2).
• Shannon Amarello scored four goals in St. Bernard's 17-8 victory over Wheeler in the ECC Small Division. Anne Foley and Lydia Crawford each had three goals and Maria Theiler three goals and three assists for St. Bernard (1-1, 1-0). Jess Muller scored six times for Wheeler (0-2, 0-1).
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Mitchell Andres finished with four goals and two assists and Nick Geary and Evan Long had three goals each for East Lyme in a 13-3 win over NFA in the ECC Large Division opener for both teams. East Lyme (3-0) led 7-2 at halftime. Steven Makowicki scored twice for NFA (0-2).
• Nick Kane had five goals and Eric Brown scored four times as St. Bernard opened its season with a 14-1 win over Wheeler in an ECC Small Division game. Eric Borwin had five assists, Ryan Londregan had two goals and two assists and Garrett Gralton made nine saves for the Saints. Carter Dole scored for Wheeler (0-3).
• Kevin Kohlhepp had four goals and five assists as Ledyard defeated Fitch 13-7. Nick LoBianco, Connor Wilt, Nick Lauer and Jake Christenson scored two goals each for Ledyard (2-1). Ian Bond and Mason Cummings scored three goals apiece for Fitch (1-2).
• Zac Poirier had three goals and four assists in Stonington's 13-3 win over Waterford in the ECC Small. Will Iorio added two goals and four assists and Jack Riordan had two goals and one assist while Nick Balestracci had three goals for the Bears (1-1, 1-0). Jeff Gran had two goals for Waterford (0-3, 0-1).
H.S. boys' golf
• Mitch Allen won the No. 1 match, leading Ledyard to a 6-1 victory over Windham in an ECC Medium Division matchup at Pequot Golf Course. Allen beat Windham's Mitch Stevens 40-43. Ledyard (1-0, 1-0) took the team medal points 162-200.
• Matti Fuller shot a 2-over-par 38 at Banner Lodge in Moodus, lifting Old Lyme to a 162-185 victory over East Hampton in the season-opener for both teams. Travis Russell added a 40 and Seb Bakoledis a 41 for Old Lyme.
• Norwich Tech's Alex Valdes took medalist honors as the Warriors opened their season with a 220-242 win over Cheney Tech in a Constitution State Conference match. Valdes shot a 12-over-par 48 and Ackens King had a 49 for Norwich Tech.
• Led by medalist Corey Jones, Fitch beat Woodstock Academy 5-2 in an ECC Large Division match. Jones shot a 9-over-par 45 and teammates Luke Teixeira and Jimmy Fiftal also won their matches for Fitch (1-0, 1-0).
• Montville opened its season with a 5-2 win over Griswold in an ECC Small Division match. Medalist Ben Reed, Cory Meigs and Bennett Stackpole won matches for Montville.
• Chris Bovino fired a 40 to halve his No. 1 match with John Aiken to score Stonington's only points in a 6 1/2-1/2 loss to Killingly in an ECC Medium Division match at Elmridge Golf Course. Drew Aitken (37) of Killingly was the medalist.
• Waterford picked up a pair of wins, beating Plainfield 7-0 in an ECC Medium Division match and St. Bernard 5-2. Andrew Frascarelli of Waterford (2-0, 1-0) shot an 8-over-par 35 to win medalist honors and teammates Matt Shea, Mitch Morabito, Tyler Goddu and Mike Crowley also won their matches against Plainfield. Dylan Julian and Zack Belisle won matches for St. Bernard (0-1).
• Connor Callaghan of East Lyme was the medalist as the Vikings beat Bacon Academy 6-1 in an ECC Large Division match. East Lyme (3-0, 2-0) also beat Haddam-Killingworth 5-2. Callaghan shot a 4-over-par 39. Drew Bradley and Callaghan each won twice.
• Trever Hutchinson shot a 46 and Steve Robarge a 47 in Grasso Tech's 197-213 loss to Windham Tech in a CSC match.
H.S. girls' tennis
• Morgan Deschamps, Laura Gagnon, Gabby Tudisca, Olivia Kenyon and Emily Kivela posted singles wins in Norwich Tech's 7-0 win over Hartford Capital in the CSC. The Warriors are 2-0, 0-1.
• Fitch beat Bacon Academy 6-1. Alyssa Denno, Diana Francis and Corey St. Louis won singles matches for Fitch (2-2).
H.S. boys' tennis
• Fitch beat Bacon Academy 7-0. Stefan Jones, Jesse Moroyoqui, Srini Srinangam and Jacob Kowalski won singles matches for the Falcons (3-1).
• Connecticut College won for the sixth straight time, beating Babson 10-3. The Camels (8-2) jumped out to a 6-0 halftime lead. JR Hartgers had two goals and an assist while senior Stephen Eicher and sophomore Briggs Barton both scored twice.
• Mitchell College snapped a three-match losing streak, beating Newbury College 7-2 in the NECC. Junior Zachary Simmons and freshman Graham Cavanaugh each dropped only one game en route to straight-set victories at the No. 2 and 3 singles spots, respectively, for the Mariners (3-4, 2-3).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES