- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Derek Petty pitched eight shutout innings as Coast Guard beat MIT 2-0 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference baseball game Sunday.
Petty (5-2) allowed eight hits with four strikeouts and two walks. Tyler Vieira threw a hitless ninth for his seventh save.
Tyler Babkiewich singled home Matt Hanks in the first inning and Eric Gerken scored on Joe Petry's groundout in the seventh for Coast Guard (18-11, 8-6).
In other games:
• Mitchell swept its New England Collegiate Conference doubleheader with Elms, winning the opener 8-4 and the second game 6-5. Waterford's Gavin LaLima led Mitchell (15-10, 10-2), going 6-for-8 with a double and three runs scored. Marc Dorsi drove in two runs in each game and in the opener New London's Nova Crespo homered and Mystic's Drew Doyle tripled. The second game didn't count toward league standings.
• UConn-Avery Point swept a doubleheader from Mass Bay Community College, winning 13-0 and 11-0 with both games ending on mercy rules after five innings. Groton's Shawn Nadeau pitched a one-hitter in the second game. Nadeau (5-2) allowed just a two-out single in the fourth with eight strikeouts and no walks. Alex Roger (2-1) pitched a three-hitter in the first game with four strikeouts and one walk.
Alex Miller had four hits, scored three runs and drove in three in the opener, Matt Martinez and Chris Mayhew (homer) drove in three runs each and Kevin Hall had two hits, two RBI and scored twice for Avery Point (22-6). Tyler Olt had three hits, two RBI and scored twice and Bryan Rivera and Waterford's Pat Rogers (rtwo RBI) had two hits each in the second game.
• UConn completed a three-game sweep, beating Villanova 9-4 in a Big East Conference game. Max McDowell had three hits and drove in two runs and Billy Ferriter and Bryan Daniello had two RBI and scored twice each for UConn (22-13, 8-4).
• Coast Guard swept a NEWMAC doubleheader from WPI, winning the opener 10-0 and the second game 3-2. Holli Bastinck drove in all three Coast Guard runs in the second game, with a sacrifice fly and a two-run single in the sixth that gave the Bears (16-11, 6-6) the lead.
• Mitchell split its NECC doubleheader with Becker, winning the second game 7-1 after losing the opener 9-3. Tricia Tomaselli (6-11) pitched a seven-hitter in the second game, allowing no earned runs with three strikeouts and one walk. Dylan Riccardi and Tomaselli had three hits on the day for Mitchell (7-19, 4-8).
• UConn fell to Louisville 4-1 in the Big East Conference. Maddy Schiappa and Lexi Gifford had two hits each and former Fitch standout Brittany Duclos drove in a run for UConn (17-19, 3-8).
• Connecticut College lost to Tufts 7-2 in a New England Small College Athletic Conference match. Joshua Suneby won at No. 1 singles and Huan Nguyen won at No. 6 singles for Conn (1-8, 0-4).