Local roundup: Montville baseball loses to Windham in eight
Windham — Luis Vega's RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning Tuesday gave the Windham High School baseball team a 6-5 win over Montville in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division.
Montville committed seven errors and stranded 10 baserunners, eight in scoring position. Joseph Brachas went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI. Chad Mooney's RBI single in the eighth gave Montville a 4-3 lead.
In other games:
• Andrew Fogarty pitched a three-hitter with 11 strikeouts and no walks as St. Bernard beat Norwich Free Academy, 2-0. Bryan Harper had two hits, a run and an RBI for the Saints (4-2) and Anthony Malchiodi had two hits, two stolen bases and an RBI. NFA is 3-3.
• Doug Domnarski dominated Killingly on the mound and at the plate to lead Stonington to a 13-0 ECC Medium Division win over the Redmen. Domnarski scattered six hits for the Bears (5-1, 2-1) while walking one and striking out 10. He also went 4-for-5 with an RBI and three runs scored while Brendan Gayowski was 3-for-4 with a double, three RBI and two runs.
• Anthony Carambot singled home Austin Toback with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning to give East Lyme a 2-1 win over Griswold. Carambot had two RBI for the Vikings (4-3) and Jordan Bartlett scattered six hits with six strikeouts and three walks.
• Izzy Davilla pitched a three-hitter with eight strikeouts and three walks and helped himself with a triple and an RBI as Fitch beat Plainfield, 4-2. Aaron Hill went 3-for-3 with two runs and two stolen bases for Fitch (6-1) and Pete Aldrich had a single, a run and an RBI.
• Ryan Duclos pitched a four-hitter as unbeaten Bacon Academy defeated Ledyard 4-0 in the ECC Medium Division. Leadoff hitter Kavan Jakuba singled and walked for the Colonels (3-3, 1-2). Bacon is 5-0, 3-0.
• Thomas Jankowski went 3-for-4, including a double, with two RBI and a run as Norwich Tech beat Grasso Tech, 10-4, in the Constitution State Conference East Division. Stephen Sieczkowski went 3-for-3 with three runs and two stolen bases for Norwich Tech (4-2) and Bryce Bedard earned the win and doubled. Bryan Cespedes went 2-for-3 with two runs and an RBI for Grasso (2-2) and Drew Pelland had two hits and scored. Eli Rosario also had two hits and an RBI.
• Sara Bennett went 3-for-3 with two runs and two RBI and freshman Chloe Hespeler earned her first varsity win as Ledyard downed New London, 12-1, in the ECC Medium. Lindsey Reinhart had a double, a triple, two runs and an RBI for the Colonels (3-3, 2-1) and Kali Money went 2-for-3 with an RBI. Bryanna Parkes had a single and an RBI for the Whalers (0-4, 0-3).
• Nicole Tetreault had two hits, including a game-winning RBI double in the top of the seventh inning, to lead Tourtellotte past Montville, 6-5, in the ECC Small. Katrina Awad went 3-for-4 for the Indians (3-3, 2-1) and Hannah Meyers added two hits.
• Old Saybrook won both doubles matches to pull out a 4-3 win over Old Lyme in the Shoreline Conference. Morgan White, Brendan White and Hugh Cipparone won singles matches for the Wildcats.
• Alan Luner, Shashwat Kala, Matt Getty and Willie Dong won in singles as Waterford defeated Windham, 7-0, in the ECC Medium Division. Brett Pias and Tucker Murphy, James Maryeski and Sean Ryan and Trey Zaharek and Adam Howard won in doubles for the Lancers (6-0, 4-0).
• Old Lyme's No. 1 singles player Lindsay Knepshield was the Wildcats' lone winner in a 6-1 loss to Old Saybrook in the Shoreline Conference. She rallied for a 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 win over Myeerah Zhang.
• Lexi Moger didn't lose a game in her No. 3 singles match to highlight Waterford's 7-0 win over Windham in the ECC Medium Division. Nisha Rajamohan, Lauren Rahr and Nora Sullivan also won singles matches for the Lancers (5-1, 3-1) as did the doubles teams of Jessie Hudson-Katie Lewis, Lily O'Hara-Phoebe Lee and Fran Secor-Jessica Li.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES