- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Matt Hanks had three hits and scored twice as Coast Guard beat Wesleyan 8-4 in a nonleague baseball game Wednesday.
Mike Massaro scored three runs and had two hits, including the 100th of his career, for Coast Guard (20-11), which is one victory away from tying the school record of 21 (1994, 2011). Ed Sella and Eric Gerken also had two hits each for the Bears, who have won five of their last six games.
In other games:
• New London's Edgard Santiago scattered five hits and two runs over seven innings for his first win of the season as UConn-Avery Point beat the Eastern Connecticut JV 10-3. Santiago walked two and struck out seven for the Pointers (24-6) while Matt Martinez hit a two-run homer in the fifth and drove in three runs, Chris Mayhew had three runs and scored three runs and Alex Lafavre had three hits, scored twice and drove in a run with a sacrifice fly.
College men's lacrosse
• Shane Sullivan scored three goals to help lead Mitchell College to an 11-10 win over Nichols. David Klapp, Demetre Lyras and Chris Joy had two goals each for Mitchell (9-2).
• Freshmen Kristine Kahl and Sammy Yuknat of Old Lyme pitched complete game shutouts as Coast Guard swept Manhattanville 2-0 and 3-0. Kahl pitched a two-hitter with a season-high eighth strikeouts for the Bears (18-11) while Yuknat scattered five hits and allowed only one runner to reach third base. Another freshman, Hannah Ingerson, drove in both runs in the opener with a two-run single in the sixth inning. Stonington's Kelly Grills singled and later scored the first of her two runs in the first inning of the second game for Coast Guard.
• Mitchell was swept in a doubleheader by St. Joseph, losing the opener 12-4 and the second game 5-0. Jenny Groman had two hits in the first game and Tiffany Person and Ariel Hallisey had two hits each in the second game for Mitchell (7-21).
• Former Fitch standouit Brittany Duclos tripled an drove in a run during UConn's 11-2 win over Rhode Island.
• Mitchell won four of six singles matches to defeat Becker 6-3 in the New England Collegiate Conference. Rocco Devona, Zachary Simmons and Graham Cavanaugh all earned two points with singles and doubles wins for the Mariners (5-5, 4-4).
Men's outdoor track
• Coast Guard's Clay Kosack, bolstered by personal best time of 11.36 seconds in the 100 meters, is 11th after day one of the Holy Cross decathlon. He has 3,109 points.
Women's outdoor track
• Coast Guard's Abby Bishop ran a personal best of 15.88 in the 100 hurdles and is ninth overall after day one of the Holy Cross heptathlon. Bishop has 2,519 points and ranks third among Division III competitors.