H.S. softball roundup: Montville gets past Woodstock
Montville — Katrina Awad and Jessica Ware homered to help lead the Montville High School softball team to an 8-3 win Wednesday over Woodstock Academy.
Caitlin Perkins doubled twice, Awad had three hits and Hannah Meyers singled and tripled for Montville (5-5).
Alyssa Mattison (5-2) pitched a four-hitter for the victory.
In other games:
• Theresa Kane, a junior, pitched a three-hitter and had the 100th hit of her career to pace Stonington past New London 17-2 in a five-inning Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division game. Mallory Kane had three hits, including a double, with two runs and two RBI for the Bears (8-0, 3-0) and Rhianna Maynard added three hits, including a double and triple, and three runs. Also, Katie Headley had two hits and three RBI and Christine McNeil hit a two-run triple. Kate Ashbey and Manuel Duran both singled and scored for New London (0-8, 0-4).
• Morgan Lloyd got things started with a two-run homer in the first inning and East Lyme took advantage of 12 walks, beating Plainfield 15-2. Sarah Bond and Kirsten McGinty had two hits each for East Lyme (7-1). Meghan Welch (3-0) pitched a six-hitter with six strikeouts to earn the win.
• Jodi Weiss doubled and homered to lead Waterford to a 5-0 win over St. Bernard. It was the first time St. Bernard coach Brittany Connors faced her alma mater. Megan Elphick and Talia Rickerson doubled, Weiss had two RBI and scored twice and Megan Spellman earned the win for Waterford (7-2). St. Bernard is 3-6.
• Alana Luzzio allowed two hits over five innings with 13 strikeouts as Fitch downed Wheeler 8-0. Caroline Taber had two hits and two RBI for the Falcons (6-4) and Holly Noe added a triple and two RBI. Also, Jackie Lewis had two hits and scored. Summer Cipriani doubled for Wheeler (2-4).
• Chloe Hespeler went 2-for-3 with three RBI as Ledyard beat Windham 8-1 in the ECC Medium. Tyler Gernhard had two hits, including a double, with two runs and an RBI for the Colonels (7-3, 3-1) and Fran Francischelli added two hits, a run and an RBI.
• Winning pitcher Shelby Grauer went 4-for-5, including a double, with four runs and two RBI as Holy Family beat Norwich Tech 20-5 in a five-inning Constitution State Conference East Division game. Sarah Majewski went 2-for-3, including a double, with three runs and three RBI for Holy Family (7-2, 6-2). Cameron Marion had two hits and an RBI for Norwich Tech (1-8, 1-6).
• Tabitha Ford and Abby Soriano each had two hits, including a double, for Grasso Tech in its 15-4 loss to Ellis Tech in a CSC East game. Tonia Johnson also had two hits for Grasso (4-5).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES