Waterford — Waterford scored the game's only run in the first inning and held on to defeat previously unbeaten Stonington, 1-0, on Friday in a matchup of two of the Eastern Connecticut Conference's top softball teams.
Katelyn Haff's two-strike, two-out single accounted for the winning run for the Lancers (8-2). Megan Spellman went the distance, allowing three hits while striking out six, and Claire Hurley added a double. Mallory Kane had two singles for the Bears (8-1), who are ranked 10th in the latest state poll.
In other games:
• Melissa Castillo doubled home Emily Devito with no outs in the top of the 10th and gave NFA its 11-10 win over Griswold. Castillo went 4-for-5, including two doubles, with three runs and two RBI for the Wildcats (5-4) and Devito went 3-for-4, including a triple, with an RBI. Also, Samantha Devito went 3-for-3, including a double, with four RBI. Nycole Sylvestre hit a two-run home run for the Wolverines (7-4).
• Winning pitcher Mena Buscetto struck out seven and also went 3-for-4 with two RBI and a pair of runs scored as St. Bernard defeated Lyman Memorial 11-1 in the ECC Small Division. Gretchen Greene also went 3-for-4 for the Saints (4-6, 2-2) with three RBI and three runs while Ali Patterson was 2-for-2 and Margaret Reagan scored three runs.
• East Lyme took a 4-0 lead after two innings and went on to beat Killingly 8-1. Samantha Horner, Kirsten McGinty and Shae Crosby had two hits and two RBI each for East Lyme (8-1). Erica Hill and Meghan Welch combined on a three-hitter.
• Wheeler scored five runs in the third inning and went on to beat Montville, 12-2, in the ECC Small. Summer Cipriani pitched a three-hitter, striking out six and walking one, while Raven Houck had two hits, Kayla Collins had a double and an RBI, and Larysa Blinn had a single and two RBI for the Lions (3-4, 2-2). Emily Bigelow, Jessica Ware and Nicole Dutka each had a single for the Indians (5-6, 2-2).
• Caroline Taber had a single, triple and an RBI and Jackie Lewis added a single, double and an RBI, powering Fitch past Ledyard, 5-1. The Falcons improved to 7-4. Lindsey Reinhert had two singles for the Colonels (7-4).
• Putnam beat Grasso Tech 8-6 in a Constitution State Conference game. Tonia Johnson singled, doubled and tripled and Tabitha Ford had two hits for Grasso (4-6).
• Riley Barnes and Shaiann Rosado each had two singles and Liliana Figueroa had a hit and two RBI for New London in a 7-1 loss to Bacon Academy.
• University-Classical from Hartford beat Norwich Tech 24-5 in a CSC game. Stacey Bowen had two hits and drove in three runs for Norwich Tech (1-9).