- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich - Eddie Gates drove in a pair of runs, including a tie-breaking sacrifice fly in the fifth inning, as Norwich Free Academy defeated New London 5-3 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division baseball game Monday afternoon at Dodd Stadium.
Devin Robbins (4-1) went the distance for the Wildcats (7-5, 3-2), scattering eight hits while striking out five and not walking a batter, while Brandon Deveny was 3-for-4.
Gabriel Diaz and Isaias Cruz had doubles in the fifth inning for New London (5-6, 1-4) that momentarily tied the game at 3-3.
In other games:
• Brian Frosti pitched a complete-game four-hitter for Stonington and added an RBI double as the Bears topped Ledyard 3-1 in the ECC Medium Division. Pat Coan was 2-for-3 with an RBI triple and a run scored for Stonington (7-5, 3-2). Kyle Perry was 2-for-3 with two doubles and a run scored for Ledyard (5-7, 2-3).
• Will Butler and Cole Tretter combined on a six-hitter with nine strikeouts as East Lyme edged Woodstock Academy 6-5 in the ECC Large. Dean Beebe, Josh Beaulieu and Hunter Waido each had two hits for East Lyme (9-4, 3-2).
• John Silvestri pitched a three-hitter, throwing only 77 pitches, as Bacon Academy remained unbeaten in the ECC Medium Division with a 3-0 victory over Montville. Silvestri did not walk a batter and struck out eight for the Bobcats (9-1, 5-0). Dominic Walmsley allowed only five hits, but took the loss for Montville (8-4, 2-3).
• Willie Rios, Tom Pietruczeuk and Bryan Harper combined to pitch a one-hitter with 17 strikeouts as St. Bernard defeated Wheeler 10-0 in the ECC Small Division. Rios and Harper also had three hits apiece (Rios had a double and Harper a triple) for the Saints (10-2, 5-0) while Scott Bailey had a double and two RBI. Wheeler is 4-5, 2-3.
• Dave Peck hit a game-ending three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning to give Old Lyme a 4-1 victory over Morgan in the Shoreline Conference. The Wildcats (6-5, 5-4) tied the game earlier in the ninth on a sacrifice fly by Bill Buscetto. Slater Gregory went the distance for Old Lyme, allowing only four hits while striking out 10. He also had a pair of hits.
• Thomas Jankowski went 2-for-3, including a triple, with two RBI for Norwich Tech in its 7-5 loss to Goodwin Tech of New Britain in the Constitution State Conference. Mitchell Ritchie went 2-for-2, including a triple, with two runs for Norwich Tech (8-4) and Eddie Santiago hit a two-run triple.
• Winning pitcher Bryan Cespedes struck out 14 and also went 2-for-4 with a double, triple, RBI and run scored as Grasso Tech beat Abbott Tech 6-5. Mario Tedeschi added a double, home run and two RBI for the Eagles (5-6).