H.S. tennis: Fitch boys edge Woodstock
Groton - Matt Pastor and Hunter Gillen teamed up to provide Fitch High School's lone doubles win and it helped push the Falcons to a 4-3 victory over Woodstock Academy in an Eastern Connecticut Conference boys' tennis match Monday.
Pastor and Gillen won their No. 2 match 6-4, 6-3, joining straight-set singles victories by Jesse Moroyoqui (6-0, 6-3), Srini Srinangam (6-2, 6-1) and Jacob Kowalski (6-1, 6-0).
Fitch is 6-3, 2-2.
In other matches:
• St. Bernard won all four singles matches, including three-set wins by Kevin Peters and Kevin Teskey, to defeat Windham 4-3. Nicholas Zuczek and Chris Renaud were straight-set winners for the Saints (5-4).
• Stonington won four matches without losing a game in defeating Griswold 7-0. Singles players Alan Carroll and Avery Oefinger each won 6-0, 6-0 for the Bears (6-2) as did the doubles teams of Kyle Hagedorn-Mitchell Edwards and Doug Schweid-Savy Meach.
• East Lyme's four singles players lost a total of just one game as the Vikings beat New London 6-1 in the ECC Large Division. Prince Patel, Nick Hotzry and Matthew Lin each won 6-0, 6-0 for the Vikings (8-1, 5-0) and Matthew Chan won 6-0, 6-1. New London (2-7, 0-4) picked up its only win from the No. 1 doubles team of Seth Lake and Collin Sawyer.
• Alex Brault, Jason Feng, Jack McLaren and Morgan and Brendan White each won their singles matches as Old Lyme beat Cromwell 7-0 in the Shoreline Conference. Old Lyme is 11-1.
• Lyman Memorial won three of four singles matches to edge Ledyard 4-3. Zach Higgins rallied for a 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 1 singles for the Colonels (3-4), who also picked up doubles wins from the teams of Ben McHale-Nick Wycoff and Jack Potter-Albert Miller.
• Montville's John Awad won at No. 4 singles, but the Indians (0-6) lost to Bacon 5-2. Montville's other win was a forfeit victory at No. 3 doubles.
• Mandy Wong, Olivia Lyon and Jordan Bierman won singles matches for Ledyard, as the Colonels edged Lyman Memorial 4-3. The Colonels (3-4) also got a victory from the No. 3 doubles team of Tess Candler and Megan Brawner.
• Jessie Hudson and Katie Lewis earned a three-set win at No. 1 doubles, highlighting Waterford's 7-0 victory over Killingly.
Nisha Rajamohan, Lauren Rahr, Lexi Moger and Nora Sullivan won singles matches for the Lancers (8-1), as did the doubles teams of Lily O'Hara-Phoebe Lee and Nizi Acharte-Francisca Secor.
• Stonington improved to 9-0 with a 7-0 victory over Griswold. Chloe Slater, Caroline Kam, Mollie Kam and Lucy Schlink won singles matches for the Bears while the doubles teams of Hannah Fabianski-Emily Buxton, Meg Rolf-Emily Gardiner and Gina Feliciano-Taylor Startz all won without losing a game.
• Joan Li, Sophia Shi, Julia Sokolovska and Caroline Costa all won in straight sets for East Lyme in its 7-0 win over New London. East Lyme is 7-2.
• Hannah Houser won her singles match in Montville's 4-3 loss to Bacon Academy. The Indians (2-5) also received doubles wins from the duos of Mia Ferguson and Hannah Keyen and Meagan McAdams and Martha Mena.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES