H.S. baseball roundup: NFA edges Waterford 4-2
Norwich - Norwich Free Academy erupted for four runs in the fourth inning and beat Waterford, 4-2, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division baseball game Wednesday at Dodd Stadium.
Zach Podurgiel pitched 6 2/3 innings to earn the win before Logan Gordon came on to record the final out for the save.
Eddie Gates went 3-for-3 for the Wildcats (8-5, 4-2), including an RBI single in the fourth. Seth Hoagland drove in Will Sherman twice for Waterford (10-3, 4-2), one on a sacrifice fly in the the first and the other on a base hit in the third.
In other games:
• Joseph Brachas pitched a three-hitter and had a run-scoring double in the top of the ninth inning as Montville beat Stonington 1-0 in the ECC Medium Division.
Brachas (3-0) struck out 11 with one walk. His double drove in Jordan Volpe for Montville (9-4, 3-3).
Doug Domnarski went the first eight innings for Stonington (7-6, 3-3), striking out 13 with one walk.
• Damon LaFrance went 4-for-4 with three RBI and three runs scored to lift New London past Woodstock Academy, 8-6, in the ECC Large. Isaias Cruz had a single, two doubles and two RBI while Gabriel Corrtorreal had two hits and three RBI and Josh Vincent earned the win for the Whalers (6-6, 2-4), who took the lead for good with four runs in the sixth inning.
• Freshman Trevor Bolduc allowed just one earned run a complete-game pitching performance to help lead Ledyard to a 6-4 win over Killingly in the ECC Medium Division. Kavan Jakuba doubled twice and drove in two runs for the Colonels (6-7, 3-3) while Jordan Kowalski had two hits, two runs and stole two pases and Branden Medina went 2-for-4.
• Aaron Michaud and Willie Rios each had three hits, leading St. Bernard to an 18-6 win over Tourtellotte in an ECC Small Division game. Andrew Fogarty (4-1) allowed four hits over five innings for the win. Anthony Malchiodi (two hits) and Rios scored three runs each and Chandler Bottinelli and Michaud each scored twice for St. Bernard (11-2, 6-0).
• Garrett Griffin had two hits as Plainfield defeated Wheeler, 4-3, in the ECC Small Division. Kevin Knowles had two hits and two runs scored for the Lions (4-6, 2-4) and Nate Storey drive in two RBI.
• Mike Mann had a double and two RBI while Phil Cohen singled twice and scored twice to lift Old Lyme past Hyde of New Haven, 14-5, in the Shoreline Conference. Dan Chapman picked up the win for the Wildcats (7-5, 6-4) and also doubled.
• Andy Meagher had the only hit for Williams School in a 4-0 loss to Providence Country Day. Ben Lahm (1-1) went the distance and took the loss, allowing six hits. The Blues (3-7) cut down three runners at the plate.
• Tommy Jankowski went 4-for-4, including a double and triple, and had four RBI, powering Norwich Tech past Abbott Tech, 19-2. Mason Thibodeau had four singles and two RBI while Eddie Santiago had a single, double and four RBI and Mike Clapsadle earned the win for the Warriors (9-4).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES