- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Ashantee Gomez clinched the first victory of the season for the New London girls' tennis team, a 4-3 win over Lyman Memorial on Wednesday.
Gomez beat Katie Audet 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 3 singles match to snap a 3-3 tie. Five of the seven matches went to three sets, including singles wins for Tathiana Jean-Baptiste and Susane Ortiz of New London.
The doubles team of Berenith Ortiz and Lady Grullon also won in three sets for New London (1-8).
In other matches:
• Hannah Houser rallied for a 2-6, 7-5, 7-2 win at No. 3 singles to highlight Montville's 5-2 victory over Norwich Free Academy.
Jennifer Hester and Kenzie Savage also won singles matches for the Indians (3-5), as did the doubles team os Marta Mena-Meagan McAdams and Emily Dodson-Helena Sun. NFA (3-5) picked up wins from Jillian Stevenson at No. 1 singles and the No. 1 doubles team of Courtney Majcher-Victoria Majcher.
• Ledyard swept singles play en route to a 6-1 win over Windham in an ECC Medium Division match. Madi Blask, Madi Wong, Olivia Lyon and Jordon Bierman won their matches for Ledyard (4-4, 2-3).
• Emma Nelson and Jingxuan Huang rallied for a 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 1 doubles to highlight Fitch's 7-0 victory over Killingly.
The No. 2 doubles team of Jingyi Huang-Bea Asuncion also also needed three sets to win for the Falcons (6-3).
• East Lyme didn't drop a single set en route to a 7-0 win over Griswold. The No. 1 doubles teams of Caroline Costa-Katherine Wu and the No. 2 team of Shivani Dadekar-Shruti Alavala didn't lose a game for the Vikings (8-2).
• Morgan White, Brendan White and Nate Carabello all won in straight sets in singles action, leading Old Lyme past East Hampton, 6-1, in the Shoreline Conference. The doubles duos of Andrew Ganey-Josh Krasney and Hugh Cipparone-Eric Pan also won for the Wildcats (12-1, 12-1).
• New London received doubles wins from the duos of Bahaa Hoda-Wasaam Hoda and Zavier Veliz-C.J. Parker in a 5-2 loss to Lyman Memorial. The Whalers fell to 2-9.
• St. Bernard won three of the four singles matches but lost to Woodstock Academy 4-3. Nicholas Zuczek, Chris Renaud and Kevin Peters won for St. Bernard (5-6).
• Stefan Jones, Jesse Moroyogui, Srini Srirangam and Jacob Kowalski led a singles sweep in Fitch's 7-0 shutout of Killingly. The Falcons improved to 7-3.
• Windham swept its four singles matches and beat Ledyard, 5-2, in the ECC Medium.
The doubles teams of Jake Skillbred and Ben McHale and Albert Miller and Jack Potter won for Ledyard (3-5, 2-3).