- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Woodstock — Megan Spellman pitched a one-hitter as Waterford beat Woodstock Academy, 4-0, on Tuesday to clinch at least a share of first place in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division softball title.
The Lancers (12-2, 8-0) can win the title outright by winning at second place East Lyme on Thursday.
Spellman (5-0) faced 21 batters and struck out five, only allowing Alora Albert's single.
The Lancers scored three runs in the third and one in the seventh inning. Talia Rickerson went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI while Elaina Sullivan, Claire Hurley and Jodie Weiss each had an RBI.
In other games:
• Meghan Welch scattered four singles and Sarah Bond drove in two runs during a three-run first as East Lyme defeated Bacon Academy 4-1 in the ECC Large Division. Morgan Lloyd tripled and scored for the Vikings (12-2, 6-2) while Shae Crosby added a pair of singles.
• Theresa Kane had another big game for division leader Stonington, pitching a four-hitter while contributing three runs in the Bears' 9-0 ECC Medium Division win over Killingly. Kane walked one and struck out seven. She also went 3-for-4 and scored twice for Stonington (14-1, 7-0) while Katie Headley was 2-for-4 with a double, RBI and run and Jen Paride was 2-for-3 with an RBI and run.
• Mena Buscetto had two hits and an RBI in St. Bernard's 10-1 loss to Plainfield in the ECC Small. Ali Patterson and Amanda Carpentier each had two singles for the Saints (7-7, 5-3), who fell one game behind division leader Tourtellotte (5-2) in the loss column. Tourtellotte beat Montville 5-3.
• Lauren Szczesny singled, tripled and scored a run to help lead Fitch to a 2-0 win over Norwich Free Academy in the ECC Large. Alana Luzzio (4-4) pitched a six-hitter for Fitch (8-6, 3-4) and Sam DeVito tripled for NFA (6-8, 2-6).
• Ledyard scored seven runs in the first inning on the way to a 13-2 victory over New London in the ECC Medium. Jessica Monday threw a four-hitter and Fran Francischelli had a single, triple and three RBI while Cassidy Powell had two hits and two RBI and Hannah Lawrence had a single and triple, and Savannah Johnson added two hits and an RBI for the Colonels (9-6. 5-3). Haley Brennan had a single and scored a run while Samantha Overton for the Whalers (1-12, 1-7).
• Summer Cipriani allowed four hits while striking out 10 and walking one in Wheeler's 4-1 win over Lyman Memorial in the ECC Small. Cipriani and Raven Houch each had a double for the Lions (4-5, 3-3).
• Holy Family jumped out to a seven-run lead and held on for a 11-10 win over Grasso Tech. Tonia Johnson had a single, triple and three RBI while Tabitha Ford had a triple and two RBI and Daisha Shinault added two singles for the Eagles (5-10).