- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Woodstock - Suryansh Patel, Ben Biondi and Charley Ren won singles matches Friday and the East Lyme High School boys' tennis team clinched at least a tie for the Eastern Connecticut Large Division title with a 6-1 victory over Woodstock Academy.
East Lyme, 12-1 overall, 6-0 in the Large Division, has a two-match lead over Fitch (5-2) with two matches remaining.
Other wins for East Lyme came from the doubles teams of Nipun Hewage and Matt Chan, Unni Kurumbail and Matt Lin and Mukesh Kurumbai and Sujay Alavala.
In other matches:
• Nicholas Zuczek and Chris Renaud won the first two singles matches, 6-0, 6-0, leading a singles sweep for St. Bernard in a 4-3 victory over Killingly in the ECC Small Division. Kevin Peters and Kevin Tesky also won singles matches in straight sets for the Saints (6-6, 3-2).
• Stefan Jones and Jacob Kowalski won in singles and Fitch defeated Norwich Free Academy 5-2 in the ECC Large Division. The Falcons (11-4, 5-2) swept doubles. Aaron Lord and Zach Peters won in singles for NFA (5-5, 2-3).
• Josh and Jon Powell, Sam Buffum and Adam Verhoeff all won their respective singles matches as Williams edged Pomfret 4-3.
• Joan Li, Sophia Shi and Melinda Li won singles' matches and East Lyme defeated Woodstock Academy 5-2 in the ECC Large Division. The Vikings are 9-4, 6-0, clinching at least a tie for the Large Division title.
• Nisha Rajamohan, Lauren Rahr, Lexi Moger and Nora Sullivan won singles matches in straight sets to lift Waterford to a 7-0 victory over New London. Jessie Hudson and Katie Lewis highlighted doubles with a victory at No. 1 for Waterford (12-1).
• Haley Savona, Diana Francis and Corey St. Louis won their respective singles matches as Fitch beat NFA 5-2 in the ECC Large. Fitch is 8-4, 4-2. Jillian Stevenson won her singles match for the Wildcats (4-7, 2-4).
• Jennifer Hester, Hannah Houser and Kenzie Savage won singles' matches and Montville defeated Griswold, 5-2 in the ECC Small Division. The Indians are 4-7, 2-2.
• Mandy Wong and Olivia Lyon won in singles and Ledyard edged Bacon Academy 4-3 in the ECC Medium Division. The Colonels are 7-5, 4-3.