H.S. roundup: Martin (78) helps Ledyard place 8th in Div. III golf tourney
Kensington - Michael Martin shot a 78 to tie for 11th overall, leading Ledyard High School to an eighth-place finish at the CIAC Division III golf championship Monday at Timberlin Golf Club.
The Colonels finished with 334 strokes. Holy Cross won the team title with 309. Ryan Zetterholm of Enfield fired a 1-under 71 to earn medalist honors.
Mitchell Allen (82) tied for 29th and Colton Day (86) tied for 48 for Ledyard.
Stonington placed 19th with 379 strokes. Sam Ognisty (87) and Joel Nelson (88) had the low scores for the Bears.
Grasso Tech's Steve Robarge shot an 85.
In other state tournament action:
• Matti Fuller tied for seventh with a 78, helping pace Old Lyme to 10th overall in the Division IV championship at Crestbrook Park in Watertown.
Old Lyme finished with 348 strokes. Morgan won the team title with 327. Nick Harrington of Parish Hill shot a 2-over 73 to earn medalist honors.
Travis Russell fired an 88 and Seb Bakoledis had an 89 while George Logan added a 93 for Old Lyme.
• East Lyme will have to wait until Monday, June 10 to compete in the Division II tournament at Tallwood Country Club in Hebron after Monday's event was postponed.
• No local players made it past the second round of the State Open tournament at Yale.
In singles, Stonington's Chloe Slater lost to third-seeded Caroline Kelly of Newtown 8-6 (the pro set format was used in early rounds) and Waterford's Nisha Rajamohan lost to Kate Howard of New Canaan 8-6.
In doubles, Stonington's Emily Gardiner and Margaret Rolfe, Waterford's Jessica Hudson and Katie Lewis, and Fitch's Jingxuam Huang and Emma Nelson each won first round matches, but lost in the second round.
Top-seeded Kristin Laub and Sara Greene of New Canaan beat Gardiner and Rolfe 8-0, No. 2 Stephanie Roman and Julie Frattaroli of Newtown beat Hudson and Lewis 8-0, and No. 3 Claudia Lohn and Gabriella Diotaveli of Hand beat Huang and Nelson 8-0.
• Three area baseball teams and one girls' lacrosse team will try to advance to the state finals as the CIAC holds its semifinal rounds today.
Eastern Connecticut Conference baseball champion and second-seeded Waterford (22-4) will play No. 11 Notre Dame of West Haven (16-8) in a Class L game at 3:30 p.m. at Palmer Field in Middletown.
Meanwhile, No. 10 Montville (18-6) plays No. 11 St. Joseph of Trumbull (18-6) in Class M at 3:30 p.m. at New Britain's Beehive Field, and No. 7 Old Lyme (17-7) faces No. 6 Oxford (16-7) in a Class S semifinal at 7 p.m. at Sage Park in Berlin.
In girls' lacrosse, No. 2 East Lyme (17-3) plays No. 6 Wilton (14-4) in a Class M semifinal at West Haven High School at 7 p.m.
• The Waterford softball team had its Class M semifinal postponed due to wet field conditions at West Haven High School and rescheduled to Wednesday at 4 p.m. The No. 12 Lancers (23-5) will play top-seeded Suffield (21-1).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES