Local roundup: Good news all around for the Schooners
New Bedford, Mass. - Kurt Sowa (Rider) allowed just two hits over five innings with seven strikeouts to pace the Mystic Schooners past the New Bedford Bay Sox 2-0 Sunday in a rain-shortened, five-inning game in the New England Collegiate Baseball League.
Sowa retired the final 10 batters he faced.
Brandon Lopez went 2-for-2, including a double, with a run and an RBI for Mystic (9-7) while Byron Campbell (Maryland-Eastern Shore) singled and scored.
Also Sunday, Mystic's Adam Touhey (Hartford) was named the co-NECBL Player of the Week after batting .556 with three doubles, a triple, six RBI and five stolen bases. He is the second Schooner to be named Player of the Week.
New York-Penn League
• Michael Feliz allowed three hits over six innings with one earned run and six strikeouts to earn the win as Tri-City beat Connecticut 6-2 before 3,157 at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium.
Andrew Thomas pitched three innings of relief, giving up three hits, an earned run, and striking out six for Tri-City (11-3). Dan Gulbransen added two hits, including a two-run home run, and Conrad Gregor had a single, two runs and an RBI.
Austin Greene hit a solo home run for the Tigers (4-9) and Kasey Coffman doubled and scored.
American Legion Zone VI
• Dom Walmsley struck out 13 and Montville scored nine times in the first inning to beat Norwich 11-1. Montville (12-1) had 18 hits. Daniel McLean struck out three in six innings of relief for Norwich (4-10), while Marc McGrath had two doubles.
• Izzy Davila had two hits, including a double, as New London beat Jewett City 11-0. Pete Aldrich and Shawn Nadeau each had two hits for New London (13-3) and Aaron Michaud had a home run.
• Dan Mewha pitched a two-hitter as New London downed Jewett City 12-2. Jacob Parizo went 2-for-2 with three runs and three RBI for New London (8-0).
District 10 baseball (10-11)
• Luke Leonard struck out five and had two hits, including a triple, as East Lyme beat Waterford North 19-2 in four innings. Chris Malcom had three hits and three runs for East Lyme, while Chris Abbey added two hits and three RBI. Also, Nathan Diaz had a double and three RBI.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES