- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich – City firefighters executed a "perfect" ladder rescue this afternoon of a woman trapped in her second-floor bedroom at 14 Brook St., Fire Chief Kenneth Scandariato said.
Firefighters received a call at 12:38 p.m. from a woman with a young child trapped in the bedroom with fire in the adjacent living room. The woman safely handed the child out the window to a man, who also was in the house when the fire started. The man suffered a deep laceration on his arm and was transported by ambulance to The William W. Backus Hospital, Scandariato said.
Fire crews arrived within one minute and raised a ladder to the bedroom window to allow the woman to escape. Fire could be seen raging in the background behind the woman, Scandariato said.
Firefighters aimed hand-held hoses at the fire behind the woman to keep the fire at bay as she stepped onto the ladder, Scandariato said. He credited the skill of the firefighters and repeated training in rescue drills for the success of the operation.
"It happened so fast," Scandariato said. "It was one of those critical moments when it all worked together so well. We trained and trained. Those guys just performed incredibly today."
The woman refused medical treatment, the chief said. Identities of the woman, child and the man who helped the child out of the house were not available.
While no firefighters were injured, Scandariato said, all 13 who responded were "heat exhausted."
The fire was under control within 20 minutes and was extinguished completely within 30 minutes, Scandariato said.
The cause was determined to be an overheated extension cord beneath a rug. The cord was pinched by a door jamb. The fire was accidental.
By CLAIRE BESSETTE
Day Staff Writer
While no firefighters were injured, Scandariato said all 13 responding firefighters were "heat exhausted."
The fire was put under control within 20 minutes and was completely extinguished within 30 minutes, Scandariato said.