Youth roundup: Waterford South forces deciding game in District 10 (9-10) baseball tourney
Waterford - Mike Marelli and Robert Zawacki combined to strike out eight as Waterford South defeated Waterford North 5-3 on Saturday night to even their best-of-three District 10 Little League (9-10) baseball series at 1-1.
The deciding game will be played at 7 p.m. tonight at Waterford South.
Anthony Tonucci had two hits with a double and Jared Burrows added 2 singles for Waterford South, while Ryan O'Connell had two hits, including a two-run homer, for Waterford North and Jordan Mayer added a pair of doubles.
District 10 (11-12) baseball
• East Lyme defeated Groton 12-0 in four innings as Jake Schelky, Tom Mason and Sophie Dubreuil combined to pitch a shutout, Mason hit two home runs and Matt Malcom and Dev Ostrowski hit one home run each.
• Waterford South defeated Colchester 14-1 in five innings as Bob Silva pitched four innings and combined with Liam Spellman to strike out eight. Dylan Bosco had two hits, including a three-run homer, to lead Waterford south while Spellman, Drew Rocchetti, Noah Speller and Trevor Yeomans added two hits each.
• Mystic defeated Lyme-Old Lyme 3-2 as Adam Gibbs went the distance and struck out 11. Tom Taber and Weston Jacey drove in runs with base hits while John Marcolina had a triple and Jason Kilcyone a double. Griffin Powers had two hits and an RBI for Lyme-Old Lyme while Ryan Romella had two hits and Eddie Kaftan added an RBI single.
• Pawcatuck-North Stonington defeated Montville 11-5 as Noah Smith and Ethan Murphy each homered and Kenneth Turner had a single and triple. Byran Dewaine had two hits for Montville.
District 10 (10-11) baseball
• East Lyme improved to 3-0 with an 11-1 win over Pawcatuck-North Stonington on Friday night. Winning pitcher Trystan Levesque struck out four while Nathan Diaz doubled twice and drove in four runs while Evan Kluge had two RBI.
State Section 2 (11-12) softball
• Pawcatuck-Stonington advanced to the winners' bracket final of the Connecticut Section 2 Little League (11-12) tournament with a 16-2 win over Rocky Hill. The District 10 champions will play Middletown, an 8-2 winner over Preston-Jewett City, on Monday.
District 6 Babe Ruth (14)
• Waterford defeated East Lyme 17-0 in five innings in a winners' bracket game. Jacob Gannon, Tyler Yeomans and Tyler Howers combined to pitch a one-hitter while Chase Speller had three hits and scored four runs, Dan Castelpoggi had three runs with three runs, Justin Heating had a triple and five players - Yeomans, Adam Pinch, Mitchell Clapsadle, Steven Gerovitz and Alex Petchark had doubles.
• New London advanced to today's winners' bracket final against Waterford with a 4-1 victory over Tri-County.
District 6 Babe Ruth (13)
• Waterford defeated East Lyme 14-2 in an opening round game shortened to six innings due to the mercy rule. Walker Sutman pitched five innings to earn the win while Alec Donahue had a three-run double. Cialilucca Matz and David Vanasse had singles for East Lyme.
• Tri-County defeated Mystic 5-4 when Matt Ely's bunt drove in Andrew Savage with the winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning. Tri-County tied the game an inning earlier on Ryan Hazel's two-run single. Connor McCrea pitched well for Mystic, allowing only three hits over seven innings with 11 strikeouts. McCrea and Frankie Delcampo had doubles for Mystic.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES