Published July 07. 2013 4:00AM
Waterford - Mike Marelli and Robert Zawacki combined to strike out eight as Waterford South defeated Waterford North 5-3 on Saturday night to even their best-of-three District 10 Little League (9-10) baseball series at 1-1.
The deciding game will be played at 7 p.m. tonight at Waterford South.
Anthony Tonucci had two hits with a double and Jared Burrows added 2 singles for Waterford South, while Ryan O'Connell had two hits, including a two-run homer, for Waterford North and Jordan Mayer added a pair of doubles.
District 10 (11-12) baseball
• East Lyme defeated Groton 12-0 in four innings as Jake Schelky, Tom Mason and Sophie Dubreuil combined to pitch a shutout, Mason hit two home runs and Matt Malcom and Dev Ostrowski hit one home run each.
• Waterford South defeated Colchester 14-1 in five innings as Bob Silva pitched four innings and combined with Liam Spellman to strike out eight. Dylan Bosco had two hits, including a three-run homer, to lead Waterford south while Spellman, Drew Rocchetti, Noah Speller and Trevor Yeomans added two hits each.
• Mystic defeated Lyme-Old Lyme 3-2 as Adam Gibbs went the distance and struck out 11. Tom Taber and Weston Jacey drove in runs with base hits while John Marcolina had a triple and Jason Kilcyone a double. Griffin Powers had two hits and an RBI for Lyme-Old Lyme while Ryan Romella had two hits and Eddie Kaftan added an RBI single.
• Pawcatuck-North Stonington defeated Montville 11-5 as Noah Smith and Ethan Murphy each homered and Kenneth Turner had a single and triple. Byran Dewaine had two hits for Montville.
District 10 (10-11) baseball
• East Lyme improved to 3-0 with an 11-1 win over Pawcatuck-North Stonington on Friday night. Winning pitcher Trystan Levesque struck out four while Nathan Diaz doubled twice and drove in four runs while Evan Kluge had two RBI.
State Section 2 (11-12) softball
• Pawcatuck-Stonington advanced to the winners' bracket final of the Connecticut Section 2 Little League (11-12) tournament with a 16-2 win over Rocky Hill. The District 10 champions will play Middletown, an 8-2 winner over Preston-Jewett City, on Monday.
District 6 Babe Ruth (14)
• Waterford defeated East Lyme 17-0 in five innings in a winners' bracket game. Jacob Gannon, Tyler Yeomans and Tyler Howers combined to pitch a one-hitter while Chase Speller had three hits and scored four runs, Dan Castelpoggi had three runs with three runs, Justin Heating had a triple and five players - Yeomans, Adam Pinch, Mitchell Clapsadle, Steven Gerovitz and Alex Petchark had doubles.
• New London advanced to today's winners' bracket final against Waterford with a 4-1 victory over Tri-County.
District 6 Babe Ruth (13)
• Waterford defeated East Lyme 14-2 in an opening round game shortened to six innings due to the mercy rule. Walker Sutman pitched five innings to earn the win while Alec Donahue had a three-run double. Cialilucca Matz and David Vanasse had singles for East Lyme.
• Tri-County defeated Mystic 5-4 when Matt Ely's bunt drove in Andrew Savage with the winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning. Tri-County tied the game an inning earlier on Ryan Hazel's two-run single. Connor McCrea pitched well for Mystic, allowing only three hits over seven innings with 11 strikeouts. McCrea and Frankie Delcampo had doubles for Mystic.