NFL roundup

Bucs sign former Giants PK Tynes

Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth will miss the upcoming season with a torn Achilles tendon and the team has signed two-time Super Bowl winner Lawrence Tynes as his replacement.

The Bucs announced Wednesday that Barth was injured last week in his hometown of Wilmington, N.C., and underwent successful surgery on Monday. He will be placed on the non-football injury list.

Tynes is a ninth-year pro who spent the past six seasons with the New York Giants, helping them win NFL titles in 2007 and 2011. He was a Pro Bowl alternate last season.

Barth signed a four-year, $13.2 million contract extension in 2012, when he was designated as the club's franchise player. Over the past four seasons, he converted a team-record 84.3 percent of his field goal attempts.

Tynes appeared in 81 games with the Giants, converting 122 of 146 field goals for an 83.6 percent success rate. Both times New York reached the Super Bowl, he kicked game-winning field goals in overtime to win the NFC championship game. Tynes was second in the NFL in scoring with 145 points last season.

Lions release Best

The Detroit Lions released running back Jahvid Best on Wednesday after concussion problems prevented the former first-round draft pick from playing at all in 2012.

Best hasn't played since October 2011, and his return was looking increasingly unlikely. Best agreed to a five-year deal with the Lions after they drafted him in 2010, but he's played only 22 games.

"Jahvid is as fine a person and professional as I have ever worked with," Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said. "He was the consummate teammate and always did everything asked of him. We wish Jahvid the very best in all his future endeavors and have no doubt that he will be successful in whatever path he chooses."

Best accounted for 1,000-plus yards and six touchdowns as a rookie, but he was limited to six games during the 2011 season after what he said was the third concussion of his football career. He hasn't played since a loss to San Francisco in 2011.

Best also missed time during the preseason that year because of a concussion, and when he was a college player at California, he missed a few games after a fall knocked him out and sent him to the hospital with a concussion and sore back.

"I want to thank the Detroit Lions organization for drafting me and giving me an opportunity to fulfill my dream and play in the National Football League," Best said in a statement provided by the team. "My time as a member of the Lions was a very special time in my life. My teammates, the members of the organization, the Lions fans and the people of Detroit will hold a special place in my heart. I'll always be a Lion."

Detroit signed Reggie Bush in the offseason to help boost its inconsistent running game.

Best began last season on the physically unable to perform list, and after six weeks, Mayhew said Best hadn't been permitted to return after a consultation with medical experts.

Eagles' Peters settles injury lawsuit for $2M

Philadelphia Eagles left tackle Jason Peters will get nearly $2 million in a lawsuit over a rolling walker which he says broke and caused him to reinjure his torn Achilles tendon.

The lawsuit says Peters was using a Roll-A-Bout knee walker in March 2012 when it broke below the handlebar, three weeks after his initial surgery.

Lawyer Michael Trunk says Peters had to endure a second operation because of the setback. He missed the entire season.

Trunk says the product was sold for patients weighing up to 500 pounds, while Peters was listed at 340.

Lawyer Elizabeth Underwood, who represents the company, declined comment Wednesday. The suit was filed in federal court in Philadelphia.

Trunk says the 31-year-old Pro Bowler is eager to move past the lawsuit and focus on football.

Hide Comments

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments