Youth baseball, softball roundup
Sr. League softball (15-16)
• Mystic-Groton advanced to the Connecticut Section II championship round with an 18-1, five-inning victory over Plainfield-Moosup on Saturday at Simsbury.
Caroline Taber pitched a no-hitter with eight strikeouts while Brooke Arruda was 4-for-4 with two doubles and seven RBI, Mackenzie Aldridge was 4-for-6 with a double, triple and five RBI, Jayden Delaporta was 3-for-4 and Taber was 2-for-3 with two RBI.
The District 10 champs will play either Plainfield-Moosup or Stafford on Monday.
State Babe Ruth (14)
• Jacob Gannon pitched six innings for the victory as Waterford beat Pomperaug 4-2 in a winners' bracket game at Ridgefield.
Dan Castelpoggi tripled, Mike Rocchetti, Alex Petchark and Mitchell Clapsadle doubled and Tyler Howser earned a save for Waterford, which plays Stamford today at 9 a.m., with a berth in the championship round on the line.
State LL baseball (11-12)
• Nick Porazzi had two hits and was the winning pitcher as Waterford South beat Burlington 12-5 in a losers' bracket game in the Section II tournament at Harwinton.
Dylan Bosco had three hits for Waterford South, which plays Coginchaug today at 3 p.m. in the losers' bracket final. Waterford South scored six runs in the first inning as Liam Spellman, Porazzi, Noah Speller and Peter Turello drove in runs.
Nate Landon had a two-run double and Turello homered for Waterford South.
State LL baseball (10-11)
• East Lyme scored five runs in the first inning and went on to beat Torrington 10-5 in a winners; bracket game at the Section II tournament in Windsor Locks. East Lyme advances to the championship round, which begins Tuesday.
Zac Aquino and Ethan Toback had doubles in the first inning and Evan Kluge and Chris Abbey each had singles and doubles.
Trystan Levesque was the winning pitcher, allowing four hits over five innings with seven strikeouts.
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Jake Schelkly homered three times, leading East Lyme to a 10-2 win over Clinton. Dev Ostrowski earned the victory with three hitless innings and six strikeouts. Tyler Peretz homered twice and Ostrowski singled and homered for East Lyme.
• Adam McCarthy homered and drove in three runs as Pawcatuck beat Waterford South 13-1. Ken Turner, R.J. Parrilla, Noah Smith and Eathan Miller had two hits each for Pawcatuck and Turner and Miller doubled.
• Mystic beat New London 10-1. Tommy Taber drove in four runs, Joe Vignato drove in three runs and John Marcolina, Jason Kilcoyne (double) and Tabor had three hits each for Mystic.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• Noah Bautista had two hits and drove in two runs to help lead Groton to a 4-2 win over Waterford North. Sam Lambert singled and doubled and Adam Camerino singled twice for Groton. Ryan Bakken and Trevor D'Amico had doubles for Waterford North.
• Jack Carney had three hits and Brady Sheffield drove in two runs, leading Lyme-Old Lyme to a 1-0 win over Mystic.
• Dorian White doubled and had two singles as Pawcatuck beat Waterford South 7-1. Ethan McCarthy and Sam Casadei (double) had two hits and two RBI each for Pawcatuck, whose pitchers combined for 13 strikeouts.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES