Login  /  Register  | 3 premium articles left before you must register.

New London fire ruled accidental, caused by ceiling fan

By Greg Smith

Publication: theday.com

Published August 27. 2013 3:00PM   Updated August 27. 2013 3:50PM

New London – A fire that torched a portion of a State Street building last Wednesday has been ruled accidental, caused by a ceiling fan in a fourth-floor apartment, according to the fire marshal.

Fire Marshal Calvin Darrow said interviews with building tenants and firefighters, along with examination of burn patterns led investors to the fan in apartment 4D as the origin of the fire. What exactly sparked the fire is unknown, he said, without further forensic investigation of the fan itself.

The fire displaced nearly two dozen people and left two store owners temporarily out of business. The building owner, William Cornish, has vowed to rebuild. The building at 130 State St. includes 17 apartments and three storefronts. Cornish bought the building in 2002 and spent more than $1 million renovating it.

News by Town

Most Recent Poll
We're a week away from the Labor Day weekend. How do you feel about this?
Not so great. It's the signal I have to hunker down with longer work hours and winterize my boat.
6%
Stunned. How could the summer have flown by so fast?
58%
Great. Can't wait for football and school to start.
20%
What, me worry? I'm not thinking about anything except my Labor Day weekend plans.
15%
Number of votes: 428

No current items found