Local roundup: Vikings’ Moore picks up where she left off in girls' soccer victory
East Lyme - Meredith Moore scored a pair of goals in the first half as East Lyme High School built a 3-0 halftime lead and cruised to a 4-1 season-opening girls' soccer win over Old Lyme on Thursday night.
Caroline Thiede and Ashley Kane also scored for the Vikings while Samantha Lee had two assists and Stephanie DeLasorcade assisted on Kane's goal.
Sloane Sweitzer scored for Old Lyme (0-1-1).
In other games:
• Melina Spanos scored four goals, Claire Hurley had two and Mia Brennan added one goal for Waterford in its season-opening 7-0 victory over NFA. NFA is 0-1-1.
• Woodstock Academy won its season opener 2-1 over St. Bernard. Natalie McPhee scored for St. Bernard (1-1), which held a 14-13 edge in shots, while goalie Alex Santiago made six saves.
• The Holy Family/Norwich Tech cooperative program overcame a 3-0 deficit to earn a 3-3 tie with Wolcott Tech in its season opener. Hannah Steinke put the Marists on the board in the 51st minute before Allie Smith scored the final two goals, including the tying goal, assisted by Amy Roberts, in the 72nd minute.
• Kedy Tirado scored four times for Grasso Tech in a 5-4 loss to Wilcox Tech. Tonia Johnson and Taylor Cooley combined to make 12 saves for the Eagles (0-2).
H.S. boys' soccer
• East Lyme goalie Zach Kosakowski had three saves and Old Lyme counterpart Spencer Saunders eight saves as the teams tied 0-0. They did not play overtime. Old Lyme is 1-0-1 overall. East Lyme, which outshot the Wildcats 9-4, is 0-0-1.
• Nick Strecker scored three goals as Montville opened its season with a 5-1 victory over Griswold. Josh Handler and Keith Stronach also scored for the Indians, who held a 19-6 shots advantage, while Hessler Luna scored for Griswold. Montville goalie Cory Meigs stopped five shots for the shutout.
• Morgan rallied for a 3-2 victory over Fitch. The Falcons won the first two games 25-15 and 25-21 before Morgan came back to win the final three games 25-22, 25-21 and 15-6. Sophie Clark had nine kills, Mackenzie Aldridge had seven kills, Mae Sefransky had 23 assists and Taylor Kelsey 15 service points for Fitch (1-1).
• A goal by Natalie Dawes in the 52nd minute allowed Nichols College to edge Coast Guard Academy 1-0. It was a tough night for the Bears (2-4), who twice hit the post in the first half and had a third chance carom off the crossbar.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES