- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Haddam - Waterford High School's Asia Langley showed off her range Friday afternoon, winning the 50-yard freestyle (25.88 seconds) and the 500 freestyle (5 minutes, 27.75 seconds) in an 87-83 season-opening victory over Haddam-Killingworth.
Langley also contributed to a pair of relay wins, joining Meika Gathy, Caitlin Henderson and Emily Pepin to take the 200 medley relay and teaming with Tori Zane, Catherine Ward and Gathy to finish first in the 400 free relay.
Henderson, a freshman, took first place in the 100 breaststroke in 1:19.82 and Gathy won the 100 freestyle (59.25).
In other meets:
• Meghan Volberg, Ugne Kirvelevicius, Tori Poole and Gretchen Stelter teamed to win the 200-yard medley relay in 1:59.67 for East Lyme in a 104-82 victory over Hand of Madison.
Stelter added a win in the 50 freestyle (26.42), Poole in the 100 butterfly (1:06.59) and Kirvelevicius in the 100 breaststroke (1:13.00), while Alexis Dumais took the 100 backstroke (1:07.76) and Caroline Gonsalves the diving (251.85). It was the Vikings' season opener.
H.S. girls' soccer
• Ella Rath scored a pair of goals as Stonington defeated Fitch 4-2. The Bears (1-1) led 1-0 at the half. Samantha Nardavic and Gabi Hoops also scored goals for Stonington while Aly Clarke scored both goals for Fitch (0-2)
• Emily Kivela scored 27 minutes into the second half to lift Holy Family/Norwich Tech to a 1-0 victory over Windham Tech. Kivela scored on a free kick from midfield that sailed over the goalie's head, giving coach first-year coach Tina Gromko her first career victory. Shelby Grauer made seven saves for the shutout for Holy Family/Norwich Tech (1-0-1).
• Madison Canestrari had five kills, three blocks and two aces and Mariah Abstetar and Michelle Klinikowski each had four aces in Ledyard's 3-0 victory over Bacon Academy. Game scores were 25-13, 25-13 and 25-22. Ledyard is 2-0.
• Megan Astley had seven digs and three kills for Old Lyme in a 3-0 season-opening loss to Lyman Memorial. Game scores were 25-16, 25-13 and 25-19.
• Mae Sefransky and Colleen Dollard had 11 assists apiece to lead Fitch to a 25-7, 25-23, 25-20 victory over Killingly. Alexus Ouellette added eight kills for the Falcons (2-1).
• East Lyme swept Plainfield 3-0, winning 25-10, 25-7 and 25-11. Jenna Schumacher had eight aces and Brooke Soderberg 11 service points for the Vikings (2-1).
• Melissa Castillo had 18 points and 26 digs as Norwich Free Academy defeated Waterford 25-21, 6-25, 25-20 and 25-22. Sophie Sweedin added 24 assists and 10 service points for the Wildcats (2-0) and Brianne Brennan had 14 service points, 14 kills and three digs. Waterford (1-1) was led by Jill Sykora with 17 digs, Amanda Tourjee with 19 assists and Lexi Moger with nine kills.
• O'Brien Tech held off Grasso Tech 3-2. Game scores were 25-10, 25-19, 11-25, 23-25 and 15-12. Pam Oliveras had nine aces and nine kills for the Eagles while Serenity Brewer finished with five kills, two aces and two digs.
H.S. field hockey
• First-year Waterford goalie Jodi Weiss made 22 saves in a 4-0 loss to Branford. Branford had 26 shots to six for Waterford (1-1).
• Quarterback Devin Gleason carried six times for 31 yards and completed two passes for 21 yards in St. Bernard/Norwich Tech's 26-0 loss to Griswold. St. Bernard trailed 19-0 at halftime, at which point the Saints had minus-two yards offense.
College cross country
• The Connecticut College men's and women's cross country teams each claimed victories at the 2013 Mitchell Invitational at Stenger Farm Park.
The Conn men placed eight runners in the top 10 and finished with 18 points, besting Post (47), Mitchell (73) and Albertus Magnus (120). On the women's side, Conn finished with 15 points, ahead of both Mitchell (50) and Albertus Magnus (75).
Conn's Michael Joyce won the men's race in 24:54 over the 4.5-mile course. Mitchell's Drew Castagna was the team's top finisher in 28:34.
Conn entered 21 runners in the women's field and had the first 13 finishers, led by Heather Rochford in a time of 20:33.
Men's water polo
• Conn College goalie Daniel Albers finished with 17 saves and three steals in a 17-8 loss to California Lutheran in a match played at Brown University. Carlos Heros scored five goals for Conn (1-3) and Henry McMillan two goals and Robert Spencer one.
• Chelsea Arpin and Ariel Hallisey combined for all three points in Mitchell's 6-3 loss to Albertus Magnus in New London. The two won their No. 3 doubles match 8-3, while Arpin won her match at No. 5 singles and Hallisey won at No. 6 singles, both in straight sets. Mitchell is 0-2.