- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
East Lyme ? Morgan Lloyd had 14 kills and Hannah Burke 10 digs as the East Lyme High School volleyball team outlasted Woodstock Academy on Monday, 12-25, 25-21, 25-21, 23-25, 15-11, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division match.
Brielle Benson had 18 assists for East Lyme (3-1, 1-0), which won last year's Large Division title over Woodstock. (Woodstock then evened the score with a victory over the Vikings in the 2012 ECC tournament final.)
Sarah Swenson had 27 kills for Woodstock.
In other matches:
• Ledyard remained undefeated with a 25-16, 25-19, 25-15 win over Sheehan of Wallingford. Madison Canestrari had eight kills, two blocks and two service aces and Hannah Hutchins had seven kills and four blocks for Ledyard (3-0).
• Paula Herran had 11 digs and five kills in Wheeler's 3-1 loss to Plainfield. Game scores were 25-18, 25-14, 23-25 and 25-7. Lexi Galluci had eight assists and two aces, Sara Gaccione, 10 digs and two aces and Alysia Rathbun 10 digs and two kills for Wheeler (2-1).
• Olivia McGuinness had 13 kills as Bacon Academy bested Montville 25-17, 25-14, 25-23. Allie Contillo had 11 digs, Mia Ferguson had six kills and Stephanie Jaskiewicz had two aces for Montville (0-2).
• Megan Astley had nine digs and four kills for Old Lyme in its 25-11, 25-13, 25-4 loss to Morgan of Clinton in the Shoreline Conference.
• Kianna Dailey had 10 kills and seven digs for Norwich Tech in a 3-1 loss to Hartford Classical in the Constitution State Conference East Division. Game scores were 25-20, 25-18, 10-25 and 28-26. Norwich Tech is 0-3 overall, 0-1 in the division.
• Arianna Alfiero's goal pushed Chariho past Fitch. Goalie Emma Nolan made two saves for Fitch (0-2).
H.S. girls' soccer
• Claire Hurley scored off an assist from Summer Wyatt at the 78:10 mark to lead Waterford past Montville 1-0. Stefanie Szot made 10 saves for Waterford (2-0). Montville fell to 0-1-1.
H.S. boys' soccer
• Luiz Dantas had five goals and Sami Ahmed added three in St. Thomas More's 12-1 rout of Falmouth (Mass.). Jonathan Bell, Nataniel Fenandes, Peter Berndt and Mauricio Chavez also scored for the Chancellors.
• Montville is ranked fourth in this week's Connecticut Boys' Soccer Coaches' Poll for Classes M/S. The Indians are 1-0 and play at NFA today. Waterford also received votes.
ECC soccer at Dodd
• High school soccer will make its debut at Dodd Stadium in Norwich. Norwich Free Academy and Bacon Academy will play a pair of games at 6:30 p.m., with the girls' teams playing Wednesday, Sept. 25, and the boys' teams playing Thursday, Sept. 26.
Gates will open both nights at 5:30 p.m., with tickets being $5 for adults and $2 for students and children age 12 and under.
H.S. cross country
• Ross Golebiewski was second in 17 minutes, 36 seconds, leading the Old Lyme boys to a victory at the Blue Dragon Invitational on Saturday at Veteran's Park in Middletown. Old Lyme finished with 51 points to outdistance Middletown (92).
Stuart Ross was fifth for Old Lyme (17:38), Cole McKnight 11th (18:17.16), Jacob Watts-St. Germain 12th (18:32) and Jeff Davis 21st (18:54).
Old Lyme was fourth in the girls' race with 150 points. East Hampton was the champion with 56. Jenna Duxbury led the way for the Wildcats, finishing 21st in 23:00.
• Connor McInnis scored a first half goal to lift Massachusetts Maritime past Coast Guard 1-0 in men's soccer action. It was the Bears' first loss in the 23-game series. Coast Guard fell to 3-1-1.
• The Mohegan Sun Country Club at Pautipaug recently held its club championship matches. Tony Susi captured the senior club championship while Andrea Daniels (women), Dave Jones (men) and Chris Grieder and Bob Baker (Four Ball) also won titles.