H.S. cross country roundup: East Lyme boys sweep quad
East Lyme - Andrew Handfield and Noah Hallisey finished 1-2 to help the East Lyme High School boys' cross country team sweep a quad-meet Tuesday on its home course at Rocky Neck State Park.
Handfield finished the 5K course in 18 minutes, 5 seconds and Hallisey followed in 18:21 for East Lyme (5-0), which defeated Stonington (26-29), Killingly (19-38) and Tourtellotte (15-50).
Frank Sternberg finished third for Stonington, which beat Killingly (15-46) in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division and Tourtellotte (15-48). Stonington is 4-1, 3-0.
In other meets:
• Max Armstrong, Bryce Hedman and Aaron Norcia finished 1-2-3 for Ledyard in a tri-meet sweep of Fitch (19-36) and New London (17-46) in the ECC Large Division. Fitch also topped New London 20-43. Armstrong's winning time over the 3.1-mile course was 18:01. Xavier Jones was fourth for New London and Cam Wilhelm was fifth for Fitch.
• Lucas Medling placed second (18:09) as Griswold beat Wheeler (23-36) and Windham (22-43) in the ECC Small. Wheeler also beat Windham (21-38). Troy Stefanski was third (18:35), Max Reck fourth (18:45) and Billy Grigg ninth (20:08) for Wheeler (3-1, 1-2). Windham's Jesus Osova won the race (18:00).
• Montville's Dan Linkinhoker was the overall winner, finishing in 17:42 as the Indians beat Lyman Memorial (26-29) and lost to ECC Medium foe Bacon Academy (23-37) and St. Bernard (24-37). Kevin Fitzgerald was sixth in 19:31 for Montville (1-4, 0-3). James Rose was the top finisher for St. Bernard (4-2, 2-0), placing third in 17:53, and Nick Kane was seventh in 19:36. St. Bernard also beat ECC Small opponent Lyman (19-43) and lost to Bacon (26-30).
• Norwich Tech's Adam Pelletier set a Mohegan Park course record for a Constitution State Conference meet, winning the 3.1-mile race in 18:20 in a 17-41 victory over Grasso Tech. Mike Froscello (19:02) and Carl Feder-Craney (19:34) took second and third, respectively, for the Warriors (2-0, 2-0). Mack Foster was the top runner for Grasso Tech (0-2, 0-2), placing fifth in 21:35.
• Ellen Arvidson took third in 22:23, leading St. Bernard past Montville (17-46) and ECC Small Division foe Lyman Memorial (25-32). Heather Wallace was sixth (22:48) for St. Bernard (4-1, 2-0), which lost to Bacon Academy (24-31). Suzie Fitzgerald was the top finisher for Montville, placing 10th in 23:38. The Indians (0-5, 0-3) also lost to Lyman (18-38) and ECC Medium foe Bacon (16-46).
• East Lyme improved to 3-2 by sweeping a quad-meet at home. Kirsten Thompson was the overall winner (15:51) and teammate Lily Whittaker finished third (17:24) for the Vikings, who beat Stonington (21-39), Killingly (24-36) and Tourtellotte (15-50). Stonington, which beat Tourtellotte (15-50) and Killingly (26-33) in the ECC Medium, was led by Anna Bornstein (fourth) and Antonia Reynolds (fifth). The Bears are 4-1, 3-0.
• Kelsey Melinosky placed third overall in 22:27, leading Wheeler past Windham 15-50 in the ECC Small. Wheeler lost to Griswold 19-42. Wheeler's Lea Janz was sixth in 24:06 while Lizzy O'Gara (10th, 25:28), Kallee Lewis (12th, 26:31) and Ziwei Zheng (31:39) also competed.
• Meaghan Covey finished first in 26:00, pacing Grasso Tech past Norwich Tech 24-32 in the CSC. Jennifer Martin was fourth (29:52) for Grasso (1-1, 1-1). Kat Bauman was second (27:48) and April Sanborn third (28:06) for Norwich Tech (1-1, 1-1).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES