Local roundup: Fitch/SB swimmers win opener
Waterford - Meredith Hird and Grace Moriarty had big meets to lift the Fitch/St. Bernard high school swim team to a 101-73 win over Waterford in its season and Eastern Connecticut Conference opener.
Hird won the 200-meter individual medley (2:29.30) and 100 backstroke (1:13.18) and Moriarty captured the 200 freestyle (2:23.10) and 100 butterfly fly (1:14.45). They also teamed up with Madison Terminisi and Jackie Kokomoor to win the 200 medley relay.
Asia Langley won the 50 free (28.08) and 100 free (1:01.27) for Waterford (1-1, 0-1).
In other meets:
• Defending champion East Lyme won its ECC opener over Ledyard, 106-71. Carlie Biondi won the 200 and 500 freestyle races for the Vikings (2-0, 1-0) while Ugne Kirvelevicius won the 100 butterfly and was on East Lyme's winning 200 medley relay team.
Katharine Franzone (200 IM) and Haley Nunes (100 back) won individual events for the Colonels (0-1, 0-1).
• Lauren Hodkinson took first in the 200 and 500 freestyle in Norwich Free Academy's 100-70 win over Windham in the ECC.
Emma Buckridge won the 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke while Stephanie Lefevbre captured the 200 IM and 100 freestyle and combined with Kaitlyn Kelly, Kylie Gromko and Chloe Marien to win the medley relay for the Wildcats. Buckridge, Marien, Jenilee Antonetty and Ashley Watson won the 200 freestyle relay.
• Olivia Lane had nine kills, seven blocks and three digs for NFA as it beat Griswold 25-23, 25-21, 25-17. Alyssa Velles had 10 kills and five digs for NFA (3-1) and Brianne Brennan had 11 kills and nine digs.
• Taylor Penman had 16 service points and five aces to lead Montville past Grasso Tech 25-12, 25-9 and 25-7. Kailee Turner had eight digs and Stephanie Jaskiewicz added six kills for Montville (1-2). Keila LaStraglio had five service points, three kills and one ace while Serenity Kidd-Brewer added three digs, one kill and one ace for Grasso (0-3).
H.S. field hockey
• Hannah Long had two goals and an assist to lead NFA past Woodstock Academy 4-0 in the ECC. Christina Konstantinidis added one goal and one assist for the Wildcats (2-0, 2-0) while Shylia Barne also scored a goal and Emily Devito had an assist.
• Bri Sotiropoulos had a goal and an assist to pace Waterford to its 3-1 win over East Lyme in the ECC. Kimberlee Gronocki and Taylor Pierce scored for Waterford (2-1, 2-0) and Jodi Weiss had seven saves. Cara Bradley scored, Emma Punsalan had the assist and Sarah Bond had 10 saves for East Lyme (1-2, 0-2).
• Elizabeth Morrison and Sam Shroyer each scored goals off rebounds in Stonington's 2-0 victory over Fitch in the ECC. Morrison scored in the first half and Shroyer in the second half. The Bears (2-0, 2-0) outshot Fitch 32-0, however Fitch goalie Emma Nolan finished with 30 saves. Fitch is 0-3.
• Freshman Terry Netusil and Brianna Grisell both scored as Coast Guard Academy downed Mass. Maritime 2-0 in New London.
Kristen Euchler and Lindsay Duplessis each had assists for Coast Guard (2-4), which outshot the Buccaneers 54-0. Katie Levesque had 17 saves for Mass. Martime (1-1-2).
• Connecticut College battled Albertus Magnus (4-1-2) to a scoreless tie. Goalies Natalie Signor and Bella Hall combined for five saves for the Camels (1-1-1).
College field hockey
• Jen Morgan and Maggie Wells scored first-half goals to lift Conn College to a 2-1 win over Springfield College. Becca Napolitano made two saves in goal for the Camels (2-1).
• Albertus Magnus captured the final two games to beat Mitchell College 25-13, 20-25, 25-21 and 25-23. Gloria Charles led the Mariners (1-5) with 19 kills and 15 digs while Amanda Garcia added 15 kills.
• Bill Hermanson of Black Hall Club is in second place heading into the final round of the 2013 New England Senior Amateur at Portland Country Club in Maine. Hermanson fired a 1-over 71, trailing leader Bill Torza of Timberlin Golf Course by one stroke. He made three birdies on the final six holes to stay in contention.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES