- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Norwich Free Academy won its Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division volleyball opener Friday with a 3-1 victory over Fitch.
Game scores were 25-22, 25-16, 20-26 and 25-21.
Sophie Sweden had 34 assists for the Wildcats (5-1, 1-0) while Abby Mattern added 23 digs and 16 service points and Alyssa Velles had 13 kills.
Fitch (3-2, 1-0) was led by Mae Sefransky with 20 assists while Taylor Kelsey added nine kills and Michelina had 11 service points and eight digs.
In other games:
• Ledyard improved to 5-0 with a 25-7, 25-9, 25-10 win over Plainfield. Alyssa Gregory had 12 service aces and Hannah Hutchins had six kills for Ledyard.
• Manuela Duran had seven service points during New London's 3-0 loss to Bacon Academy in the ECC Medium Division. The Whalers are 0-5, 0-1.
• Abbott Tech remained unbeaten in the Constitution State Conference East with a 25-12, 25-11, 25-16 win over Norwich Tech. Kaitlyn Mitchell had four aces, four digs, three assists and one kill for Norwich Tech (1-4, 1-2).
• Molly Crowley converted a penalty corner after time expired to give Stonington a 2-1 victory over East Lyme in the ECC.
The Bears (3-0, 3-0) trailed 1-0 when Kaitlyn Savalora scored an unassisted goal 7:34 for the Vikings (1-3, 0-3), but Elizabeth Morrison tied it for Stonington with 12:36, setting up the dramatic finish. Sarah Bond made 33 saves in goal for East Lyme, which was outshot 35-4.
• Shylia Barnes had a pair of goals to help lead NFA to a 4-3 win over Waterford. Hannah Long and Megan Weir had a goal and an assist each and Becca Arpin made two saves for NFA (3-0, 3-0). Bri Sotiropoulos and Julia Peay had a goal and an assist each, Taylor Pierce scored a goal and Jodi Weiss made eight saves for Waterford (2-2, 2-1).
• Samantha Lee had a goal and an assist, helping East Lyme to a 4-0 win over Fitch in the ECC Large Division. Meredith Moore, Carolina Thiede and Theresa Durkee also scored goals and Samantha Seibel and Ashley Kane had assists for the Vikings (3-0, 1-0). Nicole Sexton made 15 saves for Fitch (0-4, 0-1).
• Natalie McPhee scored two goals and had an assist as St. Bernard beat Stonington 4-0 in a nonleague game. Mackenzie Nagy and Talia Coleman had goals while Gretchen Greene, Nagy and Coleman had assists for the Saints (3-1). Gabi Hoops made four saves for Stonington (1-3).
• Montville scored once in each half to beat Wheeler 2-0. Caitlin Turney and Nicole Dutka scored and Stefanie Szot made 11 saves for Montville (2-1-1). Jess Morgan made 16 saves for Wheeler (1-3).
• Kelly Lamb's unassisted goal in 28th minute stood up as Ledyard beat NFA 1-0 in the ECC Large Division. Austin Graber made five saves in goal for the Colonels (4-0, 1-0) to earn the shutout while Rose Conte stopped seven shots for the Wildcats (0-3-1, 0-1).
• Josh Handler had two goals and an assist as Montville beat Wheeler 4-0. Nick Strecker and Tom McDaniel also scored and Quentin Duperry, Stephen Rogers and Ryan Turney had assists for Montville (2-1). Andrew Swift made 10 saves for Wheeler (0-4).
• Old Saybrook scored a pair of early goals and held on for a 2-1 victory over Old Lyme in the Shoreline Conference. Josh Krasney, assisted by Alex Clippinger, scored in the 28th minute for the Wildcats (2-1-1).
• Jeremiah Knipe scored twice as Marianapolis beat Williams 3-0. Chris Collins made 12 saves for Williams.
• Carlie Biondi won the 200 yard freestyle (2:14.37) and the 100 butterfly (1:15.49) as East Lyme beat Windham/Lyman 124-47 in the ECC. Madeline Panlilio won the 100 backstroke (1:11.44) and teamed with Ashley Toback, Liza Souza and Emma Magna to win the 200 freestyle relay (1:56.90).
• Tori Zane won her first varsity race (200 freestyle) and Asia Langley was part of four winning swims to highlight Waterford's 99-77 win over NFA in the ECC. Langley won the 200 IM and 100 butterfly for the Lancers (2-1, 1-1) and was part of two winning relay teams. Jenilee Anonetty (200 free), Chloe Marien (50 free) and Emma Buckridge (400 free) won events for NFA (1-2, 0-2).
Boys' cross country
• Norwich Tech captured the top six spots en route to a 15-49 win over Fishers Island. Aaron Pelletier won the race with a time of 18:15 and was followed by teammates Mike Froscello, Carl Feder-Craney, Troy Anderson, Ryan Schulze and Blake Wawryznowicz. Aaron Kane of Fishers Island was seventh.
Girls' cross country
• Kat Bauman of Norwich Tech won the race as the Warriors beat Fishers Island 15-50. Bauman finished in 27:17 and was followed by teammate April Sanborn and Fishers Island's Molly Cypherd.