- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Sophomore Lukas Benedetto scored his third goal of the season late in the first half and Coast Guard Academy went on to defeat Clark University, 3-0, in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference men's soccer match Saturday.
The Bears (4-3-1, 1-1) outshot Clark 17-2 in the first half, but couldn't convert until Benedetto scored with six minutes left in the half.
Matt Epperly gave Coast Guard some breathing room with a goal in the 52nd minute and the Bears were credited with an own goal in the 77th minute.
In other games:
• Zachary Simmons broke a scoreless tie in the 87th minute to give Mitchell College a 1-0 victory over Elms in the New England Collegiate Conference. Goalie Ramazan Sinani made nine saves for the Mariners (4-5, 2-0).
• A first-half goal by Nathan Miller gave Williams College a 1-0 victory over Connecticut College in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Conn (3-2-2, 0-2-2) held a 17-15 shots edge and goalie Max Nichols made three saves.
• Audrey Thomas scored the game's only goal in the 66th minute to give Williams a 1-0 win over Conn College in the NESCAC. Goalie Bella Hall made five saves for the Camels (2-2-2, 0-2-1).
• Alycia Dery scored with 2:05 left in the first half as Becker defeated Mitchell 1-0 in the NECC. Niantic's Kaylee Woodford made six saves for the Mariners (1-6, 1-1), who were outshot 17-5.
• Unbeaten Roger Williams improved to 18-0 with a 25-13, 23-25, 25-21, 25-15 victory over Coast Guard. Maggie Hine had 31 assists for the Bears (10-4) while Samantha Marmolejo had 16 digs and Rebekah Muller had 11 kills.
• Mitchell beat Becker (25-20, 25-22, 20-25, 25-22) and Pratt (17-25, 25-18, 23-25, 25-23, 15-12). Gloria Charles had 15 kills and 14 digs while Amanda Garcia had 15 kills and Nicole Caminiti added 29 assists against Becker. The Mariners are 3-8.
• Conn College suffered a pair of loses, falling to Tufts 3-0 in the NESCAC and UMass-Boston 3-1. Chloe Ainley had 22 kills and 10 blocks, Caroline Martin had 20 kills and 32 digs, Jamie Balkin had 33 digs and Emily Arterbury had 63 assists and five aces for Conn (6-6, 2-1).
• Katie Jolin's goal in the 12th minute gave Williams a 1-0 victory over Conn College in the NESCAC. Goalie Becca Napolitano played well in goal for the Camels with six saves.
• Marie Elena Bolles had two goals and two assists during No. 3 UConn's 7-3 win over Villanova in the Big East. The Huskies (8-0, 2-0) host defending NCAA champion Princeton today at 2 p.m.
Men's cross country
• Senior Gary Ezzo paced Coast Guard to a fifth-place finish at the Williams College Purple Valley Invite. Ezzo placed ninth, completing the 8k course in 26:34, while Zach Velaquez was 20th (27:15) and was Jonathan Lash 29th (27:35).
• Conn College placed third at the Blazer Invite in Chicopee, Mass. The Camels finished with 75 points, trailing New England (36) and Westfield State (47). Brad DeMarco led Conn by placing ninth (28:47) while Alejandro Hernandez (13th, 28:59), Aaron Davis (14th, 29:01) and Dan Gossls (20th, 29:26) also cracked the top 20.
Women's cross country
• Underclassmen helped lead the way for the Coast Guard, which took eighth at the Purple Valley Invite. Freshman Gretchen Krause was 41st (24:04), sophomore Carrie Smith was 49th (24:18) and junior Beth Gollin was 53rd (24:23).
• Conn College finished fourth at Blazer Invite. Conn's Caroline Lucas finished 10th in 20:51 and teammate Heather Rochford was 18th.