Published October 06. 2013 4:00AM
East Lyme - The East Lyme girls' soccer team took a 2-0 lead and held on to beat previously-undefeated Waterford 2-1 in the ALS Cup Saturday night at Dick North Field.
Theresa Durkee had an unassisted goal and assisted on Stephanie deLaforcade's goal and Gabby Fiengo made 15 saves for East Lyme (8-1). Lexi Lewis scored and Jordan Kovacs made eight saves for Waterford (7-1-1).
"It was a great atmosphere,'' said East Lyme coach Rachel Redding. "Waterford's such a strong team, you can never count them out.
"A game like this tests both of us, to see what we're made of,'' said Redding. "Both teams worked hard and in games like that it's nice to come out on top.''
• Gretchen Greene scored for St. Bernard in its 2-1 loss to East Lyme Friday. She was incorrectly identified in Saturday's roundup. Mackenzie Nagy had the assist.
• Waterford remained undefeated, beating previously unbeaten East Lyme 2-0 in the ALS Cup at Dick North Field.
Aaron Schwartz scored, with Yianni Longinidis assisting, midway through the second half and Schneider Jean-Pierre added an unassisted goal. Freshman Austin Schwartz made six saves for Waterford (9-0) and Zach Kosakowski made 10 saves for East Lyme (4-1-4).
"East Lyme and Waterford is a big rivalry,'' said Waterford coach Joe Mendonca Jr. "The records can go out the window. You know you're going to get a very competitive battle.''
• T.J. Condon scored once in each half as Wheeler won its fifth straight, beating Westbrook 2-0 in a nonleague game. Condon's second-half goal came on a penalty kick. Andrew Swift made five saves for Wheeler (6-5).
• Frankie Lee and Tim Paz each scored goals in NFA's 2-0 shutout of Brookfield. Goalie Seth Strader had three saves for the Wildcats (6-1-1). Seth Johnson and Izaak Miller each added an assist.
• Shelby Larubina's first-half golf lifted Fitch to a 1-0 win over Williams. Sydney Olstein made four saves in goal for the Blues (1-3-2).
• Chloe Marien and Juliet Morales won two events each as NFA beat Windham/Lyman 93-63 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference meet Friday. Marien won the 100 freestyle and 200 freestyle and Morales won the 100 butterfly and 200 IM. Emma Buckridge and Stephanie Lefevbre also won events for NFA (3-4, 2-4).