Fire at assisted living facility quickly extinguished
Mystic — A fire at Academy Point at Mystic, an assisted living facility, was quickly extinguished this morning.
Mystic Fire Chief Frank “Fritz” Hilbert said crews were call in around 5:30 a.m.
Hilbert said the fire appears to have started by a malfunctioning heating pad that caused a mattress to catch on fire. He said the occupant of the bed safely left the room and alerted others to the fire.
Sprinklers inside the facility contained the fire to the one room and firefighters made sure that the fire didn’t spread.
Hilbert said the fire was extinguished within minutes. He said there was a smoke condition in the building and moderate water damage. Some residents had to be relocated to other unoccupied rooms within the facility.
No injuries were reported.
The Submarine Base Fire Department also responded to the scene.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA