The People's United Community Foundation, philanthropic arm of Bridgeport-based People's United Bank, has announced $25,000 in awards to five communities in the region.
Grant recipients were Covenant Shelter of New London, Habitat for Humanity of Southeastern Connecticut, Hope Partnership, Mystic Area Shelter and Hospitality, New London Community Meal Center, Thames River Community Service, The Arc New London County and United Cerebral Palsy Association of Eastern Connecticut.
The nonprofit organizations, representing the communities of Norwich, Mystic, New London, Old Saybrook and Quaker Hill, won support for basic needs services, financial literacy programs, workforce development training and affordable housing initiatives.
For the third grant cycle of the year, the foundation awarded $694,000 to more than 100 nonprofits in Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Youth development work received the most support, followed by community development and affordable housing.
• Mystic Area Shelter and Hospitality, $2,500
• Covenant Shelter of New London, $2,500
• Habitat for Humanity SE Connecticut, $2,500
• New London Community Meal Center, $3,000
• Thames River Community Service, $2,500
• The Arc New London County, $4,000
• Hope Partnership, $4,000; United Cerebral Palsy Assoc of ECT, $4,000.