- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Eighth-seeded Fitch High School cruised to a 25-15, 25-14, and 25-19 victory over No. 9 Bacon Academy on Saturday in the first round of the Eastern Connecticut Conference volleyball tournament.
The Falcons (11-9) advance to Monday's quarterfinals at top-seeded Lyman Memorial at 6 p.m. In other first-round matches Saturday, No. 5 Woodstock Academy, No. 6 Norwich Free Academy and No. 7 Griswold also won matches.
Taylor Kelsey led Fitch with nine kills, Caroline Taber had eight kills, Mae Sefransky had 19 assists and Micky Pinto 15 digs.
In other games:
• Alyssa Velles had eight kills while Abby Mattern had 15 service points and Melissa Castillo added 12 digs in No. 6 NFA's sweep of No. 11 Plainfield, 25-16, 25-14, 25-12. The Wildcats (12-7) will play at No. 3 East Lyme in Monday's quarterfinals.
• No. 5 Woodstock eliminated No. 12 Montville 25-10, 25-12, 25-23. The Centaurs will play at No. 4 Waterford in Monday's quarterfinals.
Boys' cross country
• Williams edged Chase Collegiate 30-34 to win its 16th straight Connecticut Independent Schools Athletic Confernce title on its home 5K course. Justin Shafner was the individual winner for the Blues in 18:42 while Ben Lahm was third (19:04), Adam Verhoeff seventh (19:57), Brien Bradley eighth (20:05) and Will Jarrett 11th (20:26).
Girls' cross country
• Williams finished fourth in the CISAC Championship as Juli Brown led the Blues with a 13th-place finish in 24:59. Also for Williams, Sarah Billis was 14th (25:02), Rachel Goldstein 23rd (26:54), Kaitlyn Bendick 38th (35:55) and Christine Gelotte 41st (41:39).
• Sotiraq Vangjeli scored a pair of goals as Williams School outlasted Hyde of Woodstock, 3-2. Ashton Kozlowski also scored for the Blues, Liam Tresnan had an assist and goalie Chris Collins mad 10 saves.
• Nick Strecker, Stephen Rogers and Josh Handler scored two goals each as Montville beat St. Bernard 9-0 in the ALS Cup at Dodd Stadium. Gabe Diaz, Caleb Sheldon and Tom McDaniel also scored goals and Ryan Miner, Rogers and Handler had two assists each for Montville (12-4). St. Bernard ends its season at 3-13.
• St. Thomas More lost to Rocky Hill of Rhode Island 5-4 Friday. Luis Dantas had a goal and an assist, Sami Ahmed, Peter Berndt and Jonathan Bell had goals and Mauricio Chavez had an assist for T-More.
• ECC Large champion Woodstock scored twice in the second half, rallying for a 3-2 win over Waterford. Melina Spanos and Claire hurley each had a goal and an assist and Jordan Kovacs made six saves for Waterford (12-2-2).
• St. Bernard, the top seed in the ECC tournament, beat Montville 4-0 in the ALS Cup at Dodd Stadium. Natalie McPhee scored twice and Gretchen Greene and Kiely Smith also scored for the Saints (13-3). Mackenzie Nagy had three assists to give her 19 for the season, tying Kate Wargo's school record from 2008. Ali Patterson also had an assist. Montville is 8-6-2.
• Christian Heritage scored two goals in the final four minutes to beat Williams 4-2. The Blues (2-7-2) rallied from an early 2-0 deficit to tie the game on goals by Abby Smith and Camisha Moore. Smith and Sarah Wilkinson added assists.
• Alexis Spinnato, assisted by Taylor Pierce, scored a second-half goal to help Waterford tie East Lyme 1-1 in the ECC. The Vikings (9-4-2, 7-4-2) had taken a 1-0 lead in the first half on a goal by Cara Bradley (Kaily MarcAurele assisted). Jodi Weiss made five saves in goal for the Lancers (7-5-2, 7-4-2) and East Lyme goalie Sarah Bond stopped three shots.
• Goals by Sierra Scott and Nicole Greider lifted Fitch to a 2-1 victory over Williams. Carrie Meneo, assisted by Simone Kronholm, scored for the Blues (1-7-2), while Fitch goalie Emma Nolan made seven saves and Williams goalie Sydney Olstein stopped three shots.